Author Topic: Odd looking serial on 1957 Romy  (Read 12924 times)

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Odd looking serial on 1957 Romy
« on: September 23, 2017, 11:11:34 AM »
Has this serial been resurfaced?

It's  very smooth,  no raised surfaces that are standard with stamping.

All metal matches. Stock is well worn, RC serial.
Original well worn romani sks sling.
CAI import. Romanian, Cugir.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Odd looking serial on 1957 Romy
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 02:00:07 PM »
Ah... the mysterious PS prefix.  usually these are not dated if you look at the serial charts, however some are.

In most of the ones I've seen photos of, they are what would I take to be the original stamps, given the oddity of this prefix, they may have used a different stamp method....... or.... maybe  think1 like China, Russia sent Romania a train car full of bits and pieces to study and copy(like the SovietSino), and these were built and PS stamped, while the later native model followed normal Romanian prefixes.  (Purely speculation there, I've not held one long enough to dig into the guts of it, BUT....we needs one, we wants one :))  )

Romania really had no known reason to grind them down and reserial units for super secret incognito missions, besides, they still have the Cugir stamp from what I've seen as well.. Even for refurb purposes, the history of the rifles show, they were not overly concerned with serial matching this and that.... they wanted a functioning good working rifle. Romania was a broke arse little nation, function was chosen over form and fluff, and I'm sure matching numbers don't really impress soldiers come go time, rifles that work, do.

If it is a Russian sent parts kit to Romania....maybe the PS prefix is a jab back at Russia.. PS = Piece-o-S*it  rofl2 rofl2  chuckles1  I'm sorry.. but, it is kinda funny... rofl
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 02:18:35 PM »
I'm fairly certain that it hasn't been scrubbed and re-stamped. It's just that the stamp itself is very smooth, and not as deep as stamps on other Romys-- like the raised edges of the stamps had been smoothe over. I didn't get a pic of the Romy Triangle but it's similarly shallow and very smooth.

Had to walk out of the shop to keep myself from buying it. May go back later today or tomorrow.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 02:36:11 PM »
I believe it to be a different stamping method/set of stamps, even the fonts change slightly as time progresses.. I think they changed stamps or stamp styles throughout manufacturing.

The 7 in 1957 is slightly different, on mine the 7 is slightly shorter than the 5 vs in the photo you show, even though both are a '57.

There are other changes in their stamps as well....another example... Note the number 4 on my 1958 vs the 4 on the one you posted, an open 4 vs a closed 4. The 3 is another difference from my '57 above, one has a rounded 3, the other a straight to 3.. 

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 02:44:14 PM »
Its tagged at $499. All metal parts match. Stock is 1960-- RC####. Wood is dirty as hell but relatively few dings.

And the original sling looks like it's been on the rifle since 1960.

My significant other is gonna kill me, but if its still there tomorrow--- i'm bringing it home. Will try to haggle the price down if possible.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 03:08:29 PM »
My significant other is gonna kill me, but if its still there tomorrow--- i'm bringing it home. Will try to haggle the price down if possible.

What..Jack Nicholson said it best.... if ya gotta go.......go with a smile.  thumb1  Asking forgiveness is easier then asking permission.. the Enabler motto

Geeze.. you know how many times my.....................significant other has killed me, again and again over the many years of me dragging junk home.  My neck snapped with.... I do  chuckles1 you can't kill the dead.  thumb1 rofl2 rofl2 chuckles1

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 03:16:34 PM »

What..Jack Nicholson said it best.... if ya gotta go.......go with a smile.  thumb1  Asking forgiveness is easier then asking permission.. the Enabler motto

Geeze.. you know how many times my.....................significant other has killed me, again and again over the many years of me dragging junk home.  My neck snapped with.... I do  chuckles1 you can't kill the dead.  thumb1 rofl2 rofl2 chuckles1

:o
I have to agree that all of our neck's were snapped with the words of "I do".  Some of us more than just once.   rofl

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 03:25:03 PM »

I have to agree that all of our neck's were snapped with the words of "I do".  Some of us more than just once.   rofl

So many things I could say..but I won't.. Me..... I can garandamntee it's a 1 time only ride, like the It's a Small World ride at Disney World.  Fool me once, shame on you....fool me twice, shame on me, so I ain't getting fooled into that ride a second time. thumb1 rofl2  Renting and leasing come to mind :) rofl rofl2

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 03:27:53 PM »
Yes, well. I'll be dying twice this week then. Because last night I purchased a hand select Beretta 92S from Classic.

T'was nice knowin y'all.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 03:52:54 PM »

So many things I could say..but I won't.. Me..... I can garandamntee it's a 1 time only ride, like the It's a Small World ride at Disney World.  Fool me once, shame on you....fool me twice, shame on me, so I ain't getting fooled into that ride a second time. thumb1 rofl2  Renting and leasing come to mind :) rofl rofl2

My Dad always told me, "Why buy the "cow" when you are getting the milk free?"  I didnt listen the first time and paid dearly for my decision.  I did listen the second time and did not get my neck snapped again.  I didnt listen the third time.  Luckily the third time is the keeper that I should have met and married so many years ago.   :)

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 10:34:51 PM »
or.... maybe  think1 like China, Russia sent Romania a train car full of bits and pieces to study and copy(like the SovietSino), and these were built and PS stamped, while the later native model followed normal Romanian prefixes.  (Purely speculation there)

The PS prefixes are definitely prime canidates for something like this. If BB does pull the trigger and gets it home, it'll be very interesting to see whether there's any Cyrillic *anywhere* on this thing, especially under the stock.  One ding against it is the lack of the receiver star like is seen on the Soviet-Sinos. But this being '57, perhaps the Russians pulled these receivers out of a pile of destined-for-China hardware.  Now that's some heavy duty speculation right there!  chuckles1

Interesting differences in the S/N. when I'm next at the Computer I'll pull the other PS prefixes I have on file and maybe some other '57 prefixes and see what we see. If we can fund a transition, we may be able to tease something out.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 11:22:03 PM »
I didn't really look for any soviet features.

I was actually back on the fence about going back for it. After a bit of a sks binge year in 2016--I took a step back set myself a standard: All matching and/or unique variants only.

Is the prevailing concensus suggest that the PS series is the initial Romanian run of the M56?

I was only able to snap one other pic-- of the rear sight leaf. Battle setting "I".

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 11:25:47 PM »
Sight leaf:

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 11:31:18 PM »
...you can just make out an 'oval k' stamp on the barrel shank.

I i've seen that one on Soviet guns as well as the early chinese guns. But it's also on the two 1960 m56's I already have. And it was also on the Romanian M44 that I sold last year.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 11:43:21 PM »
It's possible that it could be a pressed stamp, and not a struck stamp.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2017, 11:53:20 PM »
On the (K), tne thing I have noticed are barrel shank/proof marks on Romanians are shared with both Russian and earlier Chinese.. Also you also might find a (o) on them. Some of these same marks can be found on the Mosins again, typically M91/30, M44 and Type 53s, all 3, the Chinese, Russian and Romanians, even on the Romanian M1969 .22 trainer has them.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 09:28:10 AM »
Went back to the show this morning to pick it up...

Somebody else had already snagged it.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 10:43:41 AM »
Bummer. Ahh well, probably fir the best!  I don't think there's general consensus PS's are the first. Known '57 prefixes are:

PS
AA
DE

The DE's stretch into 1958, though it is not clear whether the numbering restarts or if it's a smooth transition. I suspect it's a smooth transition and we have a couple corrupt data points.  I'll look for photos and see what we find.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 01:10:05 PM »
 cry2 cry2  skeered of dying twice..  rofl2 chuckles1 rofl

probably fir the best!

fir the best.... :o

RM... the point here is to.... ENABLE.. bring the vodka bottle to the AA meeting, bring the dime bag to rehab.....not the koolaid and not a salad... Not be all sappy and empathetic and promote missing an item or failing to purchase a gun. I mean....it's....it's a Romanian, it was not some factory /ou812\ 87 billion series Chinese chuckles1   I was almost giddy at the thought of seeing some PS prefix Romy guts splattered all over my screen.

But nooooo.. oh, it's probably fir the best  ::)  :P

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2017, 01:28:43 PM »
cry2 cry2  skeered of dying twice..  rofl2 chuckles1 rofl

probably fir the best!

fir the best.... :o

RM... the point here is to.... ENABLE.. bring the vodka bottle to the AA meeting, bring the dime bag to rehab.....not the koolaid and not a salad... Not be all sappy and empathetic and promote missing an item or failing to purchase a gun. I mean....it's....it's a Romanian, it was not some factory /ou812\ 87 billion series Chinese chuckles1   I was almost giddy at the thought of seeing some PS prefix Romy guts splattered all over my screen.

But nooooo.. oh, it's probably fir the best  ::)  :P

:o :o :o
  clap1 clap1 clap1
 rofl2 rofl2 rofl2
 rofl rofl rofl
Now that right there is funny as all get out!