Author Topic: Speaking of Chinese RPK-style rifles...  (Read 946 times)

Offline firstchoice

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
Speaking of Chinese RPK-style rifles...
« on: October 17, 2016, 05:23:59 AM »
I hadn't realized there were a couple different styles of the Chinese RPK-style rifles.

The Type 81S and the Type 81MGS, imported by China Sports: (based on the Chinese Type 81 Rifle)
Very few Type 81's got in by '89. I had the chance to buy one, complete with the bayonet and scabbard, (which I would've bought the rifle just to get that cool bayonet!  chuckles1 ) I still kick myself regularly for passing that one up!  cry1

And the Norinco Type 86-S7, also imported by China Sports Inc.

A PolyTech .223 RPK: (Polytech may have designated their .223 model as a Type 84-S7, not sure on that?)

Same PolyTech .223 fitted with Russian RPK wood:

Note that the Chinese Club Foot Stock is about 2" longer than the Russian RPK laminated stock (and a bit taller):

Notice how the original Type 86-S7's had the bipod mounted in front of the FSB and the NHM-91's are mounted behind the FSB. If I remember correctly, this is because the 86-S7's had a 24" barrel and the NHM-91's had a 20" barrel. But I don't have access to a 86-S7 to confirm that.

And a pic of that cool looking Chinese Type 81 bayonet. (Not applicable for RPK-style rifles, but still cool. 8) )

firstchoice

Offline fenceline

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
  • The Canadian Contingent
Re: Speaking of Chinese RPK-style rifles...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 09:20:38 AM »
Type 81 has a different operating system than the RPK. Visually similar but internally different.
RUSSIA SKS45: Tula 49, 50, 51 x2, 53 x2, 54, 57(И); Izhevsk 53, 54
POLAND SKS45: "W.P." Marked Tula 52
CHINA TYPE 56 CARBINE: /26\ 60 "S", 61, 65, 66, 79; /UK5?\ 69; /256\ 70; /316\ 70; [0138] Stamped Receiver 70 x2; /306\ 71; /416\ 公安 73; /0412\ 78
CHINA Civilian: SKS-D (XZ), "SKS-D", Cdn Para x2
N. KOREA: T63
YUGO PAP M59: 66 C-Series x2; PAP M59/66a1: 73 J, 83 T
ALBANIA 561: 78

Searching: Romanian, German, Vietnamese, IC, and the rest...

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • Never rub another man's rhubarb!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 10:51:44 AM »
The Type 81 has a gas system very much like a Vz58, it's not by all accounts....a true Ak, maybe more of a hybrid or crossbred with the Vz or SKS. Also, it like the Ak is built on a 1.5mm stamped receiver. They even figured in an adjustable gas system in to it. Now, as I understand they also had an experimental rifle, the 66-136 they built and designed the Type-81 around and modified to suit. It's spanned the whole spectrum, from RPK to bullpup design.

I had this article kicking around, so I converted it to photo and posted it. Lots if interesting stuff, from back when they actually wrote. :)

I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.

It's a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what....

Online Phosphorus32

• Global Moderator With Battlefield Commission
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 11:42:13 AM »
Great info!  I gather that the Type 81s are very rare in the US  ???  There must be some with talk of the aftermarket rail and foregrip etc.

It's interesting how the Chinese firearm industry evolved from inventing gunpowder, to strictly imported firearms by the late 19th to early 20th century, to licensed copies under the new Communist regime, to new designs with borrowed elements (which honestly, is true of most firearms).

Maybe we can put together a group buy for a bunch from Sri Lanka or Bangladesh that have been in the country for at least 10 years.  I mean they got them for $175 a pop, we could give them a decent profit and still get a nice deal.  Anyone have the time and import licenses...and connections in Sri Lanka?  chuckles1
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
-Mark Twain

Offline gregsthe1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Cadet
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 12:12:13 PM »
Don't forget about the milled Polytech Legend National Match 20" RPK!