Author Topic: 7.62X39 in Balistic Gel  (Read 5142 times)

Offline CARBINE

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
  • Ижевск карабины король
7.62X39 in Balistic Gel
« on: June 22, 2016, 11:57:55 PM »
FMJ

Not much different from FMJ

Wow I thought the hollow points would have more expantion

“If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn’t sit for a month.” - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: 7.62X39 in Balistic Gel
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 02:58:12 PM »
The Ammochannel is great.  He really does nice work. Those modern commercial soft points and hollow points are basically worthless as expansion rounds.

The Ulyanovsk "Effect" ammo certainly appears to be good at expansion and fragmentation  :o

http://www.ammochannel.com/7-62x39-ulyanovsk-8m3-effect-hollow-point/

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 10:34:42 AM »
You are right Phosphorus, people would be surprised at the unreliable (if at all) expansion of pistol rounds and certainly many rifle rounds. I have never had much faith in ballistic gel info as it is not a good way at all to judge bullet effect or behavior on flesh. At best they are good as indicators of what we might expect from a cartridge/bullet.

For me, the bottom line is bullet manufacturers in some cases are not giving us what they say we are getting!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 11:58:22 AM »
You are right Phosphorus, people would be surprised at the unreliable (if at all) expansion of pistol rounds and certainly many rifle rounds. I have never had much faith in ballistic gel info as it is not a good way at all to judge bullet effect or behavior on flesh. At best they are good as indicators of what we might expect from a cartridge/bullet.

For me, the bottom line is bullet manufacturers in some cases are not giving us what they say we are getting!

Good points Danny. Ballistic gel certainly doesn't mimic the changes in the resistance of different types of tissue and clearly nothing for bones but it's a nice clean looking medium of an average resistance that seems relevant for the penetrating power and tumbling behavior if bones are missed on entry.

Speaking of penetrating power: 36" of ballistic gel and keeps on going  :o  This new-fangled medium sized 7.62x39 rifle cartridge isn't half bad  :o  I may have to pick up a couple of guns in this caliber  chuckles1

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 01:20:34 PM »

Speaking of penetrating power: 36" of ballistic gel and keeps on going  :o  This new-fangled medium sized 7.62x39 rifle cartridge isn't half bad  :o  I may have to pick up a couple of guns in this caliber  chuckles1

Phosphorus I HIGHLY recommend them,  ;) I am certain you will love the little rascals!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 01:35:05 PM »

Phosphorus I HIGHLY recommend them,  ;) I am certain you will love the little rascals!

It takes me a while to catch up on new developments like the M43 cartridge, but I suspect I will enjoy them   wink1  :))

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 03:09:06 AM »

It takes me a while to catch up on new developments like the M43 cartridge, but I suspect I will enjoy them   wink1  :))

What is this new-fangled cartridge everybody is all excited over think1

Here I was still trying to fit these dammed old Russian rimmed things in these rifles, but they are way too long and just a tad, ok....they are fat. The Albanian cartridges won't fit the Albanians, the Chinese cartridges won't fit any Norinco,Type 56 or either Mak-90, the Romanian cartridges sure don't fit the Romanians, they do fit the PSL thumb1.  Don't even get me started on Czech, Yugoslavian and fricken Bulgarian, I even tried two the Trinity rounds Polish and East German.. nea1 no go.

And, let me tell ya, I ain't found no way to fit these 5 round strippers through that little tiny slot, I mean these things are Russian, and they still won't fit.

So...I need that short dinky rimless round now... well thats just great, now ya tell me. bat1 But, it explains alot.  Damn...all that wasted money on these little rifles my big old cartridges don't fit. cry1 rofl2 chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 05:35:47 AM »
The Ammochannel is great.  He really does nice work. Those modern commercial soft points and hollow points are basically worthless as expansion rounds.

The Ulyanovsk "Effect" ammo certainly appears to be good at expansion and fragmentation  :o

http://www.ammochannel.com/7-62x39-ulyanovsk-8m3-effect-hollow-point/

If you want something that expands good you either need tula 154 grain soft points or Hornady sst ballistic tips. 

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 06:13:44 AM »
Yup. It might, might expand. But a 450 grain .45-70 will never ever shrink thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem