Author Topic: A couple of my AK's  (Read 15400 times)

Offline escobert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Re: A couple of my AK's
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2015, 10:55:50 AM »

Nice rifles. Looks like that siaga needs a little front end work. Here is my Egyptian.

I love Maadis. I had a RML 20" barrel. I wish I still had it :(
"Stella quarta decima fulgeat. May the 14th star shine bright."

Article 16th. Right to bear arms; standing armies; military power subordinate to civil -  Vermont Constitution

That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State - and as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power.

Offline jeepjockey

• Newber
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2015, 09:46:42 PM »
 ::)Question? why would I want to spend all that money on AKs when my SKS is fitted with a Promag 40 round magazine and and goes bang every time I  squeeze the trigger, but I have only been fooling with weapons for 65 years  so what do I know? wink1,jj59
jj59

Offline K-9

• Beaucoup dien cai dau
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
  • Save a Life. Adopt.
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2015, 10:11:18 PM »
Something different, same ammo.  I agree that both are cool.  However, a WASR used to cost about the same as a refurb Russian SKS so why not?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2015, 03:00:38 AM »
::)Question? why would I want to spend all that money on AKs when my SKS is fitted with a Promag 40 round magazine and and goes bang every time I  squeeze the trigger, but I have only been fooling with weapons for 65 years  so what do I know? wink1,jj59

Different strokes for different folks,  why use my right and when the left works just fine. Why buy a PPS in 9mm when my Suomi with a bunch of 72rd drums goes bang, why buy a Saiga 12 when my Auto 5 goes bang,  no clue but I did, why buy a M47 Madsen when my M1 Garand goes bang, no clue, but I bought 2 of them.

Who cares why, the real question is,  why not? Cause I can... thumb1 rofl2
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline K-9

• Beaucoup dien cai dau
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
  • Save a Life. Adopt.
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2015, 02:06:34 AM »

Nice rifles. Looks like that siaga needs a little front end work. Here is my Egyptian.

Just curious why some believe that every AK must have a muzzle device.  The same folks would not believe a 7.62x39 SKS or VEPR must have a muzzle device.  Same caliber.  My money.  My Saigas.

Remember that these are all clones, not actual AKMs.   Historical 'accuracy' is optional.

Offline Bunker

• Rifleman
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2015, 11:39:51 PM »

Just curious why some believe that every AK must have a muzzle device.  The same folks would not believe a 7.62x39 SKS or VEPR must have a muzzle device.  Same caliber.  My money.  My Saigas.

Remember that these are all clones, not actual AKMs.   Historical 'accuracy' is optional.

The AKs pictured in this thread are clones but if you have enough money to play and in a state that permits Class III weapons, you can have true AK. 

Regarding the compensator question.  I don't believe that every AK should have a compensator but certainly some do as you mentioned.  All the ones I own are correct for the actual military production timeline, be it a muzzle nut or compensator. 

The AKM is entirely different than the weapons you mention. The compensator was designed to assist in the control of automatic fire. The device in angled and canted slightly to the right and designed to divert escaping gas from a fired round, assisting the operator in keeping the barrel from climbing upward and to the right.  The compensator was probably the only effective measure introduced in production in order to improve the stability of the system during automatic firing.

There were numerous other suggestions; even the most favorable complex combination did not provide an increase of efficiency to the level of the requirements.  Despite the adoption by the army, the accuracy was an outstanding open issue.  At the end of the 1950s and into the 1960s, design offices, research organizations, and industrial and military ministries looked for ways to improve the accuracy, especially in the framework of the existing structure of an automaton while maintaining its fundamental constructive scheme.

A large volume of fundamental research to verify the influence of multiple factors on accuracy was underway. Specifications of weapons, affecting its stability in automatic mode (the rate of fire, speed, automation, dwell time of moving parts) were reexamined, with several possible solutions that I won’t go into here.  Of all the proven interventions the most effective was the use of a small-sized muzzle compensator open type with a compensation pulse of the order of 0.03 kg/s, at an angle of 30 degrees vertically down-right, in the direction opposite to the direction of the angular movement of arms.

Compensators of this type were developed at the Institute of SS Rozanov and at the Izhevsk factory and they provided improved accuracy of fire from a standing position by approximately 2.5 times.  After some refinement the muzzle compensator of this type was introduced into production.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2015, 12:27:52 AM »
Neat info Bunker!  thumb1

I think sometimes we forget that 99% of the AKs we get to play with in the states are bubba'd and simply not how they were originally intended to operate.  I know I do.

Offline jjjxlr8

• Cadet
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2015, 08:05:19 PM »
I like the Romanian AIM rifles (Civil Guard) as these were originally built in semi-auto only...