Author Topic: MAK 90 restoration  (Read 3255 times)

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
MAK 90 restoration
« on: September 21, 2016, 12:35:02 AM »
Picked this up recently....had plenty of potential!  Mak 90 that started life as an underfolder that was caught up in the customs blah-blah-blah......lol. It had the thumbhole stock.....and ground down fsb. The new fsb is the one I removed from the Polytech spiker and removed the extra back half. The folding stock came with the rifle so that was a plus! It has the blued bolt and carrier.....turned out pretty good!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: MAK 90 restoration
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 01:01:08 AM »
Very nice  8)  thumb1

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 05:34:06 AM »
Never figured out why anyone would want an under folder. They are uncomfortable as hell to shoot.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 12:23:43 PM »
I don't have an underfolder AK but I have a side folder VZ58 (VZ2008).  I don't find it uncomfortable to shoot but it certainly doesn't offer the same secure cheek weld as a carbine with a solid buttstock.

I really don't ever expect to do any urban fighting or house clearing myself  rofl but the original design intent was to have a light, short handy CQB rifle that could also be used at longer ranges by simply folding out the stock.

I like how compact it is and in a worst case scenario police-state hostile environment situation, then having something concealable in a back pack for humping over the back trails out of town on my mountain bike is nice. Again, not something I expect to happen in my lifetime, but it's nice to have.