Author Topic: Oil Test  (Read 7886 times)

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Oil Test
« on: February 15, 2015, 08:58:58 PM »
Looking for a nice gun lubricant to store up on in case feces fly up and hit the ceiling fan, that will pass my cold weather test. I do live in Wisconsin, and even though I'm in the Southern part, it still gets quite cold.

Decided to test just a couple I had on hand, by putting them on a slab of steel and leaving them in the current 10-12 degree temps outside.

I also sprayed some water on them, just to see if they'd lose their cool. I am using, from left to right, Rem Oil, CLP, Tetra gun oil, Clenzoil, & some Full Synthetic 10w-30 motor oil.

I'm about 4 hours in, and this is how they're holding up:

Rem Oil: Lost its cool. As soon as I put it on the steel, it started to creep everywhere. It reached as far as it could before I had to stop it. It is a very thin oil. As soon as I sprayed it with water, it gave me a look I knew wouldn't hold up long, and it didn't.

There is now a very thin layer of ice where Rem oil once sat, and seems as if there was never oil there in the first place. Maybe not bad for giving a room-temperature stored gun an oil down before storage, but not for field use.

CLP: What I use to clean my guns. It also crept a little, but not like the previous, and it gummed a tad after 4 hours, but not enough for me to say I wouldn't use it if I had to. Not the worst, but not the best.

Tetra Gun Oil: I'd be nervous putting too much of it on a rotary Ak bolt and expecting it to get the job done in these temps. It gummed up way too much in the little amount of time it's been out there. It seems as if it turned into a lithium grease while out there, with a film on top. I always knew that crap sucked since it smells like chocolate vodka - yuck.

Clenzoil: Yes I am a fanboy, but I'm not being bias. If I had to pick one here, it's this. It stayed just how I put it there, and it's still slippery like it should be. Whenever I go shooting this is what's on the rails, and whenever I'm done shooting, it's still there and just as slippery, just a little darker. The only problem is it isn't at any stores around here, I have to order it.

10w-30: Also a good one. Just a liiiiittle thinner than Clenzoil, but the same as Clenzoil as it hasn't changed it's viscosity. Not sure how rust resistant it is as most gun oils are, but this isn't about storing guns, it's about being able to use them whenever. I wouldn't hesitate to use in the field.

Things can still change overnight, but I'm not sure how much. A lot of other factors could also come into play, like a lower temperature, heat from using the gun, amount applied, etc, but I was bored and I figured I'd share my results. I'll be sure to check on it in the mornin too, and let ya know if it changes at all.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
Re: Oil Test
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 02:12:14 AM »
This is cool Worm, thanks for taking the time to do this and posting the results. A Veteran of the European Theater of 1944 told me when the bolts would freeze up on their Garands or carbines they would urinate on them to free it up then clean the action real good! They tried to do it without their Sergeant seeing it because he would know they weren't checking their bolts like he told them to!

I gotta look into this Clenzoil. Even though the winters aren't as harsh here in north central Arkansas as they are further north it seems to be the better option. I use dry graphite when I'm shooting, hot/cold temperatures here in the south don't seem to affect it.

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 04:48:22 AM »
Ballistol is what the Germans used in WWII. Then again they lost so.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 09:52:33 AM »
Ballistol is what the Germans used in WWII. Then again they lost so.

Blicero just bought 289,000 shares or Ballistol.    rofl

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 12:52:47 PM »
Good thinkin Danny, about the graphite. Good to know about the piss too  thumb1 Sometimes ya gotta do whatcha gotta do.

Clenzoil smells like heaven also, I do recommend.

Went out there this mornin, all same results except where the Rem oil was is completely dry. Mustve gotten wamr enough to get rid of the ice and underneath it there was nothing. I wont use Remoil for nothing more than a storage spray down like I said.

Ballistol ey? Hmmm.. maybe I have to try this again with 5 new products.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 02:14:45 PM »
Piss on my firearms, oh hell to the no.. piss is some nasty stuff, pee on a metal plate, and watch. And, the smell once you get chunking off rounds :o

All the lubes that can be found, heck corn oil, baby oil, something other than piss, would work if needed, dunk it in a tank of diesel. If the turd hit the fan, just sit and think, how many lube or oil based products are in a typical home or just out there period. Heck all the antigunners autos sitting there ownerless with oil pans just full of lube. Cooking, cosmetic, or even in a garage, something I'm sure would fit the bill. Most of these weapons through time were lubed with used engine oil, grease or what ever was handy and they were used hard. I've never seen the purpose for reinventing the wheel, these cool azz NASA spaceaged lubes all do the same thing, clean, protect and what not. But, if you inspect weapons frequently, as you should, there should be no rust issues in a safe, and if you don't want to wear a weapon out, don't shoot it. thumb1

9 times out of 10, most milsurps have had more rounds through them and use than we will ever put through them. There is no mystery snake oil to stop wear, if there were, the oil companies/governments would stomp it out of existence. Imagine for a second, the automotive industry whips up a mystery snake oil, your engine never wears out. It's good for us, but, the big oil company’s are pissed, as are governments. Because someone just tampered with money flow, and with the government, they will pass these "savings bat1" on to us..

4 billion insurgents down through time, cant be wrong. If it's an Ak, the weapon typically lasts longer than those carrying them by about 20 or 30 to 1, so somewhere in those 20/30 past owners, did it get cleaned, or lubed. Oh, yea, it did rain one night, mid-conflict, 4 countries over, 16 owners ago  chuckles1

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 03:17:12 PM »
I agree, most oils will do if need be. Just looking at what can handle the cold.

I wouldn't mind putting butter on the rails, maybe slap some bacon strips on the barrel, then go to war. At least I'd die to a pleasant aroma  :)

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 05:51:54 PM »
This is good stuff worm  thumb1

This reminded me of a buddy of mine showing up to shoot 1 day just Raving about this gun grease he found. He thought it was the bee's knees. So we tried it on some Ruger P-series handguns. It was a pink grease in a lil plunger and we put some on the slide rails and shot a bit. Seemed to work fine but....

I went out to shoot a few days later ( winter time in the Blue Ridge Mountains) I'd say it was around freezing and you could actually watch the slide go back and forth and it even sounded so slow. I'm surprised it would even rack a new round honestly.

So it apparently gummed up Bad in cold ( not super cold though) weather. I chucked it in an ammo can and haven't used it since. Your post got me looking for it...

Shooters Choice
All weather " High tech" grease
Temperature range -65f to +350f    rofl ( not even close)

I'd use bacon grease before I'd use this stuff again. Now ya got me wondering on my oil of choice. " Hoppe's Elite" gun oil. I use it and the cleaner all the time now, but I don't shoot much these days either.

Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Lmbass14

• Enjoying another trip around the sun.
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
  • Just livin' the dream.
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 09:34:12 PM »
There was on another forum that had an extensive test of a lot of lubes.  I'll try to find it and post the link.

Found it.

Review/comparison of gun care products | Ron's outdoor blog.
In war, there are no winners or losers.  Just survivors. DR

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 04:51:45 PM »
lmbass, that is one awesome link. Didnt expect wd-40 to perform so well!

Hippie, I may have to try the Hoppes Elite. I wouldn't use that bad gun grease again either. That's why I never listen to the label, (all weather my butt). Some stuff just don't work in the cold.

Or even in the heat.. A test was done with frog lube some time back, when exposed to high heat it turned into a thick, black goop. I wuldn't want that in my gun!

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 05:07:03 PM »
lmbass, that is one awesome link. Didnt expect wd-40 to perform so well!

Neither did I, that's a surprise to me! I have always used it for minor projects around the shop/house (squeeky hinges, etc) but not in my firearms.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 05:17:52 PM »
What gun oils you use? - page 1 - Cleaning/Chemicals/Methods - SKS-FILES FORUM - Page 1 of 2

Oh... the ole "water displacement formula #40".     Dont care for it myself.    Interesting nobody ever tests or mentions Lucas gun oil.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 11:24:26 PM »
I've heard of it, never seen it around here or used it.

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 11:37:00 PM »
I'm done with gun lubes. Motor oil ftw.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 11:49:17 PM »
I'm done with gun lubes. Motor oil ftw.

When our "Ma-Duece" used to get sluggish or hang up we would open the top cover and pour in about a coffee cup of 30 weight...then it would really rock and roll! Sure made a messy cleanup though  >:(

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 12:14:10 AM »
haha there ya go