Author Topic: 1970 M39  (Read 4770 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
1970 M39
« on: March 21, 2018, 10:43:44 AM »
From the year that saw the release of Led Zeppelin III, I bring you this immigrant

A 1970 M39 built on an 1896 Sestroryetsk receiver that had the grooves cut for the M27 "winged-bolt", so an antique M91 that became an M27 about 40 years later and finally an M39, some 74 years after emerging from Sestroryetsk.

Bore and crown are excellent and the trigger is a crisp and very consistent 4 lb 14 oz +/- 1 oz (2.22 kg). Stock/action shims are all in place so I suspect it'll be a good shooter.

A couple of pictures below. Thanks for looking!

Receiver grooves for M27 winged bolt

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: 1970 M39
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 02:09:44 PM »
Mighty fine M39... and Zeppelin drool2    Good music year... Bridge over Troubled Water, Who Will Stop The Rain, Black Magic Woman..

My Sweet Lord....that's twice now..... your trying to RE-Enable my Finnish fetish with subliminal classic rock aren't you..  bat1  and I almost had that in remission, now, I am Paranoid and have the Roadhouse Blues.  cry1

Send it to me, with this recent snow....uhm, errrr... white crap we just got, it will feel more at home, maybe more so than being fondled and molested by a guy who goes on a bike ride next to the Colombia river wearing shorts, bragging and sucking up his freshy warm spring like weather.  :)

RM would like it..  thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 02:56:07 PM »
Thanks!

Hey, rock sells, or something like that  rofl You just have to have Blind Faith that these late date 1967-70 M39s are the Cream of the crop and great for taking out Yardbirds or other Animals that you catch Rolling Stones to uncover Beatles in your backyard.

I think it's enjoying the spring weather, even though it has gotten cloudy today and only supposed to get to 61F (16C for the Finns...and the rest of the world).

Offline Luke2236

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 05:44:11 AM »

A 1970 M39 built on an 1896 Sestroryetsk receiver that had the grooves cut for the M27 "winged-bolt", so an antique M91 that became an M27 about 40 years later and finally an M39, some 74 years after emerging from Sestroryetsk.

Bore and crown are excellent and the trigger is a crisp and very consistent 4 lb 14 oz +/- 1 oz (2.22 kg). Stock/action shims are all in place so I suspect it'll be a good shooter.

Very nice and an interesting history of reinvention lol! Haven't shot my own at distance (iron sights don't work well for my old eyes anymore), but it's not far off my K31 at ranges I can actually see too...congrats on the score  thumb1
Canadian...eh!

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 09:23:32 AM »
have a couple of ex-dragoons, some of my fav rifles. thanks for sharing.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 01:11:55 PM »
Thanks!

Hey, rock sells, or something like that  rofl You just have to have Blind Faith that these late date 1967-70 M39s are the Cream of the crop and great for taking out Yardbirds or other Animals that you catch Rolling Stones to uncover Beatles in your backyard.

I think it's enjoying the spring weather, even though it has gotten cloudy today and only supposed to get to 61F (16C for the Finns...and the rest of the world).

Years ago....

I bought one from a Mississippi Queen, I thought my money would be Easy Come Easy Go... then the slip from the USPS came and said Come And Get it. So I got it, and it was like, Look What They've Done.. It had a sweet crisp trigger, super nice sharp, shiny bore and the pine tar finished wood was to die for considering it was a Mosin. So I took it Up Around The Bend and had to Run through the Jungle because the Road is Long and Winding, I shoved some yellow tipped Bands of Gold in it, declared War an a target and swear I saw Fire and Rain when I touched it off for the first time, by the 3rd round, I thought, We've Only Just Begun..after the 5th shot, I Can't Help Believing the shot's just got Tighter and Tighter........

Then I said...All Right Now, No Matter What, I'm getting another.  thumb1   Addiction to Finn's, oh, it's happening sweetheart..  :)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 05:38:35 PM »
Thanks Luke and Carl! The M39s are my favorite Mosin model for shooting.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 05:46:02 PM »
Thanks!

Years ago....

I bought one from a Mississippi Queen, I thought my money would be Easy Come Easy Go... then the slip from the USPS came and said Come And Get it. So I got it, and it was like, Look What They've Done.. It had a sweet crisp trigger, super nice sharp, shiny bore and the pine tar finished wood was to die for considering it was a Mosin. So I took it Up Around The Bend and had to Run through the Jungle because the Road is Long and Winding, I shoved some yellow tipped Bands of Gold in it, declared War an a target and swear I saw Fire and Rain when I touched it off for the first time, by the 3rd round, I thought, We've Only Just Begun..after the 5th shot, I Can't Help Believing the shot's just got Tighter and Tighter........

Then I said...All Right Now, No Matter What, I'm getting another.  thumb1   Addiction to Finn's, oh, it's happening sweetheart..  :)

whew1 chuckles1

Nice M39 there GM! Is that a late date too?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 06:04:43 PM »
whew1 chuckles1

Nice M39 there GM! Is that a late date too?

Errr...think1  yes and no.. yes... it is the last of the '40's production, thats a 1944 VKT, so it is a late date '40's, and no, it's not the true 70's late production. All my M39's are the old school 1940's clunkers  ::) nothing that new..except the M28/76.  :o

Offline Josh Smith

• Newber
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 08:02:20 PM »
That's a beautiful specimen.

Regards,

Josh

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator