Author Topic: 1959 Romanian SKS  (Read 4769 times)

Offline SKSkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
1959 Romanian SKS
« on: August 15, 2017, 11:49:51 PM »
Hello im new to the forum and i wanted to share my SKS and i have a question, Is it still considered a matching numbers rifle if the gas piston and gas tube have a different serial number?

upload image from url

Offline newchi

• Marksman
Re: 1959 Romanian SKS
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 12:00:14 AM »
Neat,
In theory, if its not matching its not matching but personally i wouldn't care about the  gas tube and piston, but we will have to see what the more experty folks here say

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 02:14:26 AM »
Very nice Romy!   I wouldn't care about the tube and piston..... To me its like a trigger spring, not exactly meant to match in the first place.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline SKSkid

• Newber
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 02:32:45 AM »
I just looked under the rear sight and found yet another matching # but it is too faint to photograph.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 06:42:18 AM »
Matching is used so often, when it's not, that the redundant term "all matching" has emerged for what used to be sufficiently described as matching  rofl

Terms that are seen in marketing or describing a firearm these days: stamped numbers matching (numbers that are applied with an electro-pencil may not match), visible numbers matching (one or more of: gas tube, gas piston, bolt may not match), metal matching (mis-matched, or non-original and/or unnumbered stock), forced-matching (numbers applied after scrubbing, or strike-through, or over-stamped during refurbishment).

Regardless, it's a nice Romanian thumb1 These are often the best value for the dollar in the current SKS market. Enjoy! Do you have full rifle pics and a pic of the left side of the buttstock?

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 08:11:38 AM »
Nice Romanian SKS!   thumb1

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 08:28:03 AM »
For a Romanian SKS, I would consider it all matching.  100% ALL matching Romy's are extremely hard to come by.

Sweet Romy, by the way.

Nice get!

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 08:57:27 AM »
that is a nice one. the important things are all matching. ....  :o but if your like me, I wouldn't be able to call it all matching with even those parts with different numbers. it would be in the back of my mind forever.  Besplode
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 10:10:00 AM »
Regardless, it's a nice Romanian thumb1 These are often the best value for the dollar in the current SKS market. Enjoy! Do you have full rifle pics and a pic of the left side of the buttstock?

I agree with P32.  With Romys, the stock is usually the toughest number to match. If the left side of the buttstock has the original S/N, you've got a decent collectible there even with a mismatched gas tube/piston. If the stock is a restamped, mismatching, or blank replacement, you've got a nice shooter or a placeholder in your collection until a nicer one comes along (believe me, more will come.  It's inevitable!)  thumb1

Online Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 09:50:28 PM »
P32 forgot to mention the most common term used about matching which is " everything matches except " Or All matching Except" ha ha ha ha ha

Very nice Romanian. These days if you have a Romanian SkS ,,,, Hang on to it.

You did really good and if the stock matches the other parts shown, You did exceptionally well ! The piston can be replaced with a non numbed and same with the gastube if you can find one or trade  clap1