Author Topic: What's everyones preferred ammo pouch?  (Read 8859 times)

Offline Draq

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
What's everyones preferred ammo pouch?
« on: April 30, 2017, 04:21:13 PM »
I'm curious how you guys carry all your ammo? Clip or loose? And I'm what type of pouch?

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
Re: What's everyones preferred ammo pouch?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 05:04:06 PM »
I'm curious how you guys carry all your ammo? Clip or loose? And I'm what type of pouch?

For the SKS I "carry" mine in spare removable 20, 30rd duckbill mags that have been tried, tested and true for my SKS in a MTM 50 cal plastic ammo box and also on stripper clips in a chinese 10 pocket pouch.  For pistols, I carry the spare ammo in spare mags in double mag pouches worn on my belt or as attached to the shoulder holster the pistol resides in. 

Offline Draq

• Cadet
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 05:28:29 PM »
Well my prime carry for my clips is in the AR mag pouches on my old LBV, and the spares in my Chinese chest rig. My pistol mags will one day go in my old Vietnam era canvas m14/m16 mag pouch, whenever I eventually get a pistol... My single 10rnd promag is an excellent detachable magazine, but not when you only have one and you can't use the clips. But I plan on putting the old girl back in wood with a stock mag.

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 06:50:26 PM »
Chinese mil surplus chest rig (10 pouches). I get them off eBay for under $15.  :o
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 06:53:14 PM »
Chinese mil surplus chest rig (10 pouches). I get them off eBay for under $15.  :o

Thats exactly where I got mine from!   thumb1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 06:57:00 PM »
I use my pockets.. or just dig them out of a .30cal ammo can.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Draq

• Cadet
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 06:59:13 PM »
They're pretty utilitarian in general. I can fit my phone and all kinds of stuff in it, and I can wear it over my LBV without it being in the way of other pockets.

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 09:18:19 PM »

Thats exactly where I got mine from!   thumb1

Its actually a pretty convenient ammo carry bag, just grab the straps and go.
Sometimes i just take the plastic mtm ammo can with the extra stripper clips that are not in the chest rig.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 10:04:50 PM »
I use an East German 3 cell grenade pouch.  I can fit 90 rounds in a relatively small space.  They were $3 each way-back-when & I picked up a bunch of them. I store them in the truck, camper, duffle bags, etc.  I always have 90 rounds available in a pinch!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 10:12:15 PM by running-man »

Offline Draq

• Cadet
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 12:47:32 AM »
Hell yeah, that's what I need.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 10:19:09 AM »
Draq, these may also work well for you.  They are East German raintree pattern ak mag pouches with 4 mag cell  compartments that would hold a lot of ammo on stripper clips or loose.  I forgot I had these stuffed away in a back closet.  I need to start using them to tote my ammo around in. 

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 01:16:44 PM »
I like the DDR grenade pouches too.  The closure is clever, secure but easy to open, and they have a waterproof or water-resistant lining (though I haven't checked that property. I think I got a few quite cheap at Sportsman's Guide quite a while ago but they're out. They're still available over at Liberty Tree Collectors at 2 for $8

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1444

The Chinese belt loop pouches are good too for secure storage of 3 clips per pouch and they have a low profile, clips are oriented horizontally, so they don't inhibit movement much when bending over. They're the same design as the Russian pouches but in ChiCom green pleather instead of Soviet reddish-brown pebble pattern kirza rubberized canvas. Prices at the site below seem ridiculous to me (again, I got the Chinese ones cheap at Sportsman's Guide when they had them) but you can see the examples at least.

http://tickbitesupply.com/pou.html

...but most of the time, I just toss boxes of ammo in my "Range Mix" .50cal US can that I'm taking to the range on a particular shooting day for sitting at the bench and punching paper  rofl

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 01:49:18 PM »
I like the DDR grenade pouches too.  The closure is clever, secure but easy to open, and they have a waterproof or water-resistant lining (though I haven't checked that property. I think I got a few quite cheap at Sportsman's Guide quite a while ago but they're out. They're still available over at Liberty Tree Collectors at 2 for $8

The Chinese belt loop pouches are good too for secure storage of 3 clips per pouch and they have a low profile, clips are oriented horizontally, so they don't inhibit movement much when bending over. They're the same design as the Russian pouches but in ChiCom green pleather instead of Soviet reddish-brown pebble pattern kirza rubberized canvas. Prices at the site below seem ridiculous to me (again, I got the Chinese ones cheap at Sportsman's Guide when they had them) but you can see the examples at least.

...but most of the time, I just toss boxes of ammo in my "Range Mix" .50cal US can that I'm taking to the range on a particular shooting day for sitting at the bench and punching paper  rofl

:o darn, cool sites. you guys are killing my plastic (CC).  banghead1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 02:32:20 PM »

Hey, I'm here to enable help  thumb1  chuckles1

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 02:47:20 PM »

We try our best to "enable" anyone and everyone!   :)