Author Topic: Let's see the Garands...  (Read 7375 times)

Offline SubCaliber

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Let's see the Garands...
« on: August 29, 2016, 02:45:22 PM »
This one is a CMP Collector Grade from back when you could still get those...

Same rifle along side my sons rack grade in a new CMP stock;

Let's see yours...

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Let's see the Garands...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 03:23:11 PM »
thumb1 thumb1  Nice

One of mine..it's got a little farm tractor in her.

Here is another chunk of American semi-auto muscle, everyone forgets about.. the 1941 Johnson, designed and used by the USMC :)  Also, it's technically the AR's grandaddy, this is where Stoner got the action design from.

No M1917s or 03's  think1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline SubCaliber

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 03:50:46 PM »
Those are two gorgeous rifles you have there.  thumb1 thumb1 thumb1

You know when I was at the CMP I put down the 03A3 I had in hand for myself to get the Garand for my son... shortly after that there weren't any more.  So I am still in need of one.  They had a few 17s there at the time also. 

The Johnsons are an interesting beast.  A rare one these days for sure.  I personally hadn't heard the rifle itself ever actually got much love and it was too late to the game to really even get a chance at being adopted.  The LMG version is what I had heard was so prized by the Marines.  It was even redone with their input late in the war but then the war ended and funding was cut and so goes things.  Of course I don't have one and "what I heard" is worth all of what I paid for it which is zero, notta, absolutely nothing LOL. 

I was aware that Johnson worked with Stoner on the bolt though.  That is an interesting hold over that I bet most AR owners aren't aware of.  Ironically Kalashnikov copied a lot of the Garand bolt. Again something I bet most aren't aware of.

I do know that every original configuration 1941 Johnson I have seen has has a price tag of $5,000-7,000 so I sure would like to have one.  I won't though at that price ever.  In that I guess they're like a big yacht, I'd like to have one but I wouldn't like to pay for it.   I guess like SKS's I wish I bought a bunch way back when....

Do you ever shoot the Johnson much?  I think I'd be afraid too, I doubt new parts and barrels for that are easy to come by.  How is the recoil impulse compared to a Garand?  From what I have heard the barrel recoils on those that has to be different.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 04:09:59 PM »
I've resisted the urge to fire it so far...but I do have some -06 thats creeping around, taunting me, and it may change this fall :)

As I understand, the recoil is less than the Garand, the action soaks most of it up, the barrel is completely removable and does move back about 5/8 of an inch or so when unlocking the action. One reason these had issues, was with bayonet attachment, the extra weight of it choked them up when fired with the bayonet. As I have read, they hung well with the Garand in testing, at times equal, and most Marines in the Pacific War liked them, especially the para-trooper guys, due to the weapons ability to pull apart in just  a few seconds and become compact, and it's very easy to reassemble.

You can find parts..... it's rare, but once and a while they do appear.

A nice M1917 would also fitting in your collection :)

Maybe a classic, a buttery smooth Krag to add in too  thumb1

Why you think they say I'm the Enabler.. just helping  rofl    I haven't drug out the Thompson.....yet :)   rofl

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 05:11:14 PM »
Hmm, I don't have any pictures of my Garands (all in CMP new stocks)...or my M1917...and they're buried...in the gun closet...not coming out for a while

You'll have to settle for my Model 03-A3 for now  :))  One of my favorite shooters.

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 05:58:26 PM »
I've resisted the urge to fire it so far...but I do have some -06 thats creeping around, taunting me, and it may change this fall :) 

Aw, GM, I'd shoot a few enblocs to ya just to hear the range report on that beautious Johnson....  Can't leave us all in the lurch here when you have the only example....  8)  The only way most of us will ever be able to experience such a fine weapon is vicariously through your effort......Oh, please, think of your fellow SKS-file mates  thankyou1 clap1
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."  ~Benjamin Franklin

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 06:03:30 PM »
Here's my sweet Garand--love shooting this one!!  A correct 1943 Springfield  dance2

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."  ~Benjamin Franklin

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 06:13:24 PM »

Aw, GM, I'd shoot a few enblocs to ya just to hear the range report on that beautious Johnson....  Can't leave us all in the lurch here when you have the only example....  8)  The only way most of us will ever be able to experience such a fine weapon is vicariously through your effort......Oh, please, think of your fellow SKS-file mates  thankyou1 clap1
I admit... Weakness is getting to me :-\ No enblocs are needed, you can load a single round or use the standard issue M1903 strippers.

Offline SubCaliber

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 06:40:01 PM »
Those are some beautiful rifles you all have.   thumb1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 06:42:41 PM »
Here's my sweet Garand--love shooting this one!!  A correct 1943 Springfield  dance2

Sweet!  8)

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 09:31:28 PM »
I'll bite, though I have horrible photos.  Here's my CMP Field Grade HRA, nothing special or particularly collectable but she's a fine shooter:

And my 1903, 1.01 million S/N, rebarreled & possibly restocked in '42:

Offline SubCaliber

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 09:28:15 AM »
Those are some gorgeous rifles gentlemen!  I willl never get bored of seeing pics of these things.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 09:20:50 PM »
They are all beautiful pieces of Americana  clap1 I have a particular weakness for running-man's '03! I think the '03 is the most beautiful firearm ever built by man.

Offline oldcarjunkie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 10:16:27 PM »
Lets See the Garands you say?? OK, but you might want to get a towel. :) :).

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:04:15 PM by oldcarjunkie »
Come join me on Facebook group..  The Milsurp Nation or Instagram @Milsurp_Nation