Author Topic: D-Technik Vz 58 vs. C.A.I. Vz 2008-pic heavy warning  (Read 11043 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
D-Technik Vz 58 vs. C.A.I. Vz 2008-pic heavy warning
« on: September 17, 2014, 12:13:42 AM »
A comparison between the two for those who want to know which is superior. I put the two next to each other and let them "bojovat zuby nehty", Czech "for fight tooth and nail". I found some good, some bad, some interesting.  :o

It is the U.S. built version by B&R Machine in Ludlow Mass, distributed by Century Arms, from Aim Surplus according to the box vs. the Czech Republic D-Techniks built version imported by Waffen-Werks in Knoxville Tn.

First up, the front sight assembly. First off, the Czech version uses the original barrel, which according to U.S. gun laws is to short, it was 15.4 inch long, so too short by one inch. To be able to use the original barrel there is a permanent barrel modification to bring it to the required length.The Century version uses a Green Mountain manufactured barrel, the standard length, the end of the barrel is threaded, which allows the muzzle brake to be removable or changed. Now one other difference, the Czech made barrel is as I understand, hammer forged and chrome plated inside. The Green Mountain barrel, if they use the same steel as their Ak replacement barrels is the "finest quality 4140 steel". Some have claimed the Green Mountain barrels, at least the early ones were .308 dia, not .310/.311 as the original. I didn't go that far to verify, claims were "possible short barrel life due to wear". I believe the Ruger Mini 30 was the same way at some point, but I could be wrong, and there is alot of those still out there.
One other difference, the Century you can attach the bayonet, the Czech version you can't, the bayonet lug was ground away, I'm guessing an import vs. built in the U.S. law.

The gas system, no differences noticed, all of the parts were all interchangeable, even handguards. The extra spring was found in the Vz2008 cleaning kit, figured I'd show it.

These are two top side photos, side by side, notice how the Century front sight assembly is slightly more forward. Same front sight base, just slightly longer barrel. Same rear sight as well, the "U" sight setting is for "univerzální" meaning "universal", the basic battle sight setting for out to 300m.

Now something a little different, the safety. Both in the down position are on safe, the Vz 58 rotates facing forward, the Vz 2008 rotates facing back. Both rotate only 90 degrees.

Another difference, the trigger guard. Seems there is two different trigger guards, at least listed on the Numrich site, one wide, one narrow. The Century, at least my example, seems to have the wide guard, which once you get used to it, the mag latch is not an issue. The Czech, it's nice, easy, flip and instant mag drop, push forward to drop the mag on both. Also some small machining differences in the mag well can be seen. The button above the mag release is a bolt hold open for when the mag is removed. Pull the bolt back, push it upwards and it holds the bolt, pull the bolt back, it releases and the bolt will close. NOTE, bolt locking lugs engaged into receiver, thats how and where the action locks shut, till the recoil pulse comes and causes it to unlock.

Receiver differences, just some small differences in machining, either way must work fine. Also noticed some small external machining differences, none of which would affect operation. In all photos, the Czech version is at the top of the photo. Neither of mine were drilled for the side scope mount, but the flat for such addition is present.

The trigger mechanism, some differences, I didn't venture to tear either apart. But, I did find the bolt carrier seems to be configured to work with it's respective receiver builder, at least in stock form. See photos and description below. Trigger pull between the two, in my opinion is close.

The bolt carrier is different, this was the only part I found I could not swap. the actual bolt, locking mechanism, hammer, springs and cover seemed all interchangeable. The bolt carrier would insert into the others receiver and each would move 1/4 inch then lock up. Seems the trigger, safety and bolt carrier are the incompatible parts. I'm sure if someone wee enterprising and got desperate, these pieces could be modified to fit. Again the Czech built one is on top, it looks to have a welded ear on it, possibly for the disconnecter, where the Century doesn't. This may have just been a different way to convert to semiauto along with trigger modification. That is what seems to cause the swapping issues. I would for safety sake do a headspace check and/or have a gunsmith inspect if any of the bolt, carrier or locking mech. is changed, just for piece of mind.

Now for the one thing that had me say "I'm not amused".  The Czech version has a plastic trigger!!!!! All the time and effort they put into building it, not to mention the price you pay, and you get a wonderful weapon with a plastic trigger.  :-[

Here is a standard issue surplus mag you can get anywhere with a CzechPoint mag. The CzechPoint versions are either new production or refinished surplus, painted black and have a plastic base. Again with plastic. And I'll throw this out there, all are last shot bolt hold open, unlike the Ak, where you need either Yugo mags or aftermarket mags. The stuff like the plastic magazine parts and trigger are known compliance parts, due tothe fact the D-Technics is imported and not built here like the Vz2008.

That is really about it, each has good and bads. Possibly, when I have more time, I will dig further in like barrel slug the Century and see if it is .308. I know someone will ask, but of course the requisite range battle will happen now. I'm a little too far in not to do a range test now. Just keep an eye out, "it will happen" :
But in my opinion :2cents: and disclaimer, these differences were based just off the two samples I have, my opinion would say:
Fit and finish, overall appearance - Hands down Czechpoint, but for the rougher beaten surplus look, Century. Century is a parkerized finish, CzechPoint has a black enamel type finish.
Durability, this is a tough one, obviously a tough weapon, they have been produced and used it since 1958, just recently updated to the CZ-805 Bren - Century, no chromed barrel that may or may not be correct bore diameter, vs. a CzechPoint with a plastic trigger, and plastic mag bases. No big common failures noted elsewhere of the Century model I could find. To me, the chrome is not a biggie, just clean it as your supposed to and there won't be an issue. Both do breakdown exactly the same. Time and use will tell which is better, but I won't wear either out I'm sure.
Price - Breaks down about like two Vz2008s and maybe even some ammo depending on the deal for one CzechPoint, I got my CzechPoint prior to Century selling them, so there was no other way to get one at the time, other than through CzechPoint.
Parts - the bolt carrier is what I found, along with possible trigger small parts and pieces. Seems everything else to an extent between my two rifles are swappable. Again, your mileage may vary, some fitting of true surplus may or may not be needed. The fixed butt stock conversion on the Century recently was a perfect fit.
I hope this helps clear the air some between as everyone deems them, the king of the hill Czechpoint Vz 58 , and the drunken monkies Century Vz 2008.
Which is superior???? That you will have to decide between the two, your the keeper of your wallet, I already have both now.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 02:28:43 AM by Greasemonkey »
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: D-Technik Vz 58 vs. C.A.I. Vz 2008-pic heavy warning
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 05:37:25 AM »
That was really nice for a 4:00AM read  :)

Thanks for the comparison. If the Century VZ barrel is correct diameter and hammer forged.. I think I would jump on the Century... especially for the price these days. Now if it was chrome lined, hammer forged & correct diameter.. I'd probably have two already lol

Not many seem to have both versions let alone share their differences close up so thanks for that! Never seen a side by side.

surprised to see a plastice trigger on the real deal!

Offline shemhamforash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 11:42:08 PM »
can't be a 'plastic' trigger, it's gotta be a 'poly carbonate' one, just has to be.........awesome write up there - think i'd be in it for the century model (surprisingly enough) if i were in the market...........

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 12:07:38 AM »
can't be a 'plastic' trigger, it's gotta be a 'poly carbonate' one, just has to be.........awesome write up there - think i'd be in it for the century model (surprisingly enough) if i were in the market...........

Uh...poly carbonate is a plastic thumb1

I just keep telling myself it's a special super secret hybrid-plastic Czech tacticool trigger rofl2, self lubricating glass filled nylon body with a kevlar inner reinforcement and a nice abs outer coating. thumb1

Offline Marcus

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 03:11:58 PM »
I have an original, very low serial number 505.  D-Technik  rifle.

Mine is still in single-stack configuration,  and all parts except the Czech made receiver,  and any Czech made (all metal) trigger parts,  are original Czech military, including the barrel.

Plans are to get it opened up for standard magazines.

I have the original black poly  "sporter" stock (which is made for right-handed people and feels like crap to me, being left-handed, but the extra length is nice),  a beautiful "beaver barf" stock set  that I hand selected every piece for from a bunch of sets a seller in the Czech Republic had,   a Czech Small Arms black poly buttstock  that duplicates the original wood and beaver barf stocks along with the original black poly nandguards and a black poly FAB Defense grip ,  and a nice Czech folding buttstock.

So I have a few options on how to dress it.  If a  mint condition original wood stock came along I might pick it up and stick it in the parts box, but I have never really felt the need or any strong desire for one as I much prefer the unique and distinctive look of the beaver barf.

Having the real Czech gun,  the U.S. made ones have never interested me.

Offline Marcus

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 03:16:32 PM »
 A photo from when I first got it years ago.  It remains unfired, in original box

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 03:28:30 PM »
I've never had an issue with either one after all these years, I got the CzechPoint in 2010 and the Century one in 2014... both have run like a Swiss watch..  the Czech built one can put someone at a disadvantage.. using true surplus mags in the Czech variant "could" cause a 922 violation, as the Czechpoint mags included with the rifle have the required US parts for the count, floor plate and follower, the surplus mags don't and this issue doesn't effect the US built version, and I have a mass of surplus magazines... I have a side folder stock for one thrown in a box with the hardware somewhere, never was my thing. I even have 2 complete parts kits w/stocks and barrels and all the small parts I picked up from Clearview Investments a few years ago.

Offline Marcus

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 03:59:14 PM »
As I recall  Czechpoint used to occasionally offer  the CSA Czech receivers for sale.  Something like that would be ideal for building up an "all Czech" rifle using some of the nice parts kits out there.

Also,  Frank Talbert -  frtalbert -  was offering some very nice  single saw cut receivers over at AK Files.  I don't know if he has any left,   but to me,  a quality reweld job  and an original barrel parts kit would be the best way to go,  and would be the closest thing to an all original military issue VZ58 one would be able to find.

Offline Marcus

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 04:11:50 PM »
I don't worry about 922(r) with my rifle.

This is a "manufacturing" statute, not a "possession" statute.

So if you get a gun that someone else made "non-compliant",  you are still legal and good to go.

Also,  since 922(r) has a 3 year Statute Of Limitations,  if you yourself made  a rifle "non-compliant"  3 years and 1 day ago,  the  SOL has run out  and  the rifle is now perfectly legal.

Since no proof is required on your part,   what you say is the controlling and deciding factor.

Of course,  for a rifle that was provably manufactured or imported less than 3 years ago,  obviously  the SOL hasn't yet run out for the person who made the rifle non-compliant.

But since this is not a possession statute,   if I, or some guy named "Bob" at a gunshow,    added correct original parts  that made the rifle non-compliant,    that stays with him,  and the rifle is in legal configuration when transferred  to you.

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2021, 11:17:36 AM »
Very nice post. After reading this and doing a bit of research I just had to go and look at the old ads on our local gun page. Found a two year old ad and shot off an email. He still has it and I am waiting for pics. It's the Century one but wish me luck.
I have to grow old but I don't have to grow up...

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 11:29:00 AM »
Enabled  :) thumb1  and good luck.  ;)

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 08:51:52 AM »
Well the enable thing is in fine form folks. Made a deal over the weekend on a 2008 and headed out this morning to get it.
I have to grow old but I don't have to grow up...

Offline Marcus

• Newber
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2021, 12:52:48 PM »
Excellent!

Now we need photos and range report!