Author Topic: Marlin Mod 30AW  (Read 4982 times)

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
Marlin Mod 30AW
« on: November 16, 2014, 05:40:00 PM »
Another carbine of Mary's of which she is very proud, her .30-30. This was gifted to her by some very good Friends from Florida several years ago. The Bushnell is waaay more than this little gun needs but I put it on now and then to just play around with it. It's a surprisingly accurate rifle out to about 175-200 yards but she takes no shots at Deer at that distance!

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Marlin Mod 30AW
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 09:58:39 PM »
The wife has quite the arsenal ey?  :) lol

Very nice. The only action missing in my safe is a lever. Never even shot one. Looks like fun.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 10:39:12 PM »
Holy crap is that a sexy mofo! 

I have an early 90s Marlin 30/30 but I cannot remember the model designation as they confuse me.  Think its a 36?   :-\     Had it since new, ole man bought it as a xmas present from walmart.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 12:18:09 AM »
Worm they are a hoot! Ballistically they are much like the 7.62X39 and have about the same recoil. They are real popular in these heavily wooded hills as most shots at a deer are well within their practical range.

Cannon the previous owner of this one bought it new in the late 90's and hunted with it until his health got so bad he couldn't get around. He and his wife (Fred & Caroline) spent about a week with us every summer here in Arkansas. He heard Mary was enamored with the Marlin with the gold plated trigger and camo sling so they brought his up here and Fred gave it to her. Of course she wouldn't take her weight in gold for it!

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 12:06:15 PM »
Same reason I hunt with an SKS. Here in the Wisconsin woods you usually can't shoot very far because it's so thick in most places.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 06:39:55 PM »
Worm that's the reason I don't hunt with my Savage .270 any more! I plan on trying to reduce the deer population next week when we get settled in at the new place. I want to bring some down with my SKS, what sort of ammo are you hunting with? All I have is the wolf 123 grain hard-ball, does this cartridge do much damage to the meat?

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 05:24:40 PM »
very nice.  8)
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 07:21:06 PM »
Thank you Carl!

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 08:37:58 PM »
Worm that's the reason I don't hunt with my Savage .270 any more! I plan on trying to reduce the deer population next week when we get settled in at the new place. I want to bring some down with my SKS, what sort of ammo are you hunting with? All I have is the wolf 123 grain hard-ball, does this cartridge do much damage to the meat?

Hey Danny,

I've always heard 154 gr SPs are nice for hog hunting.  For deer I've heard the 8m3 round (which is a 124 gr. true expanding HP) is a nice round. I've no experience trying for deer with my SKS. I used to use my 30-30 exclusively, but never got one in all my years (non lottery OTC deer tags in NM aren't in great zones)

As this ammo is just sitting here unused, PM me your info & I'll send out a gift package so you can try some out.  thumb1