Author Topic: SVT40 IS HOME  (Read 2499 times)

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
SVT40 IS HOME
« on: February 15, 2017, 03:46:56 PM »
Hi Fellas,

Monday I picked up my SVT that I mentioned previously, and have been going over the GB tutorial and what's posted here. I noticed a few things while comparing it to the data. I was able to get a break in my kitchen remodel, actually I stopped because I couldn't wait any longer, and the boss was gone. I took the bolt & trigger group out, so I could drool over everything, and run some Butches Bore Shine through the barrel.

All the groups were pretty clean, but the bore could use some love. Quickie clean job, but it's still pretty dark, lands look sharp, grooves still have crap in them. I just wanted to do what I could and get some oil in there. I'm pretty sure it's gonna shoot good regardless.

Everything EPd has the same number, including the brake, but not the mag. No rails, I guess I jumped the gun when I got a scope mount I stumbled across, now I'll have to find another rifle that fits it .

'41 Tula star refurb. Haven't looked everywhere for the marks, but the most obvious are:
 Plumb bolt forced matched carrier & bolt
 TG (narrow) & receiver numbers match, but it has 2 letters "CM" preceding the serial, where the chart only shows 1 letter
 Safety has a hole
 Matching stock struck horizontally
 Mag epd not matching, it's mag #3 with the original serial stamped out, has a single lug, not quite round pin hole
 Thicker AVT furniture and 7 hole HG
 2 port brake
 Correct canvas and leather sling with buckles and dog collar attached at butt, 2 piece front sling swivel

I got baggie of goodies, the fella said there was a gas adjusting tool. Haven't dumped that stuff out and inventoried it. Plan on getting the stainless parts now that it's in my hot little hands.

Also ran across 1K Russian X54 at '90s prices, and I've already been sitting on a ton of it for the Mosins.

The SVT40 is a pretty cool machine thing. I hope it doesn't send me down the rabbit hole.

3 SKSs make bail Thursday. I'll get some pictures up of this latest stuff when I'm able.

Just for giggles, I drug out my FN49 to handle them side by side. SERIOUS main battle rifles. They're both too cool, I feel fortunate to have been able to acquire them.

This is better than Christmas. Picts when I get a chance. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: SVT40 IS HOME
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 04:57:42 PM »
Awesome PAX.   thumb1

I'll be interested to hear how your SVT shooting/maintenance experience is compared to when you've fired the SAFN49.  I've never had an SVT, but the stories I hear from the guys that have them and **** and moan about teardown and cleaning make me think Saive's post-WWII design was just a bit better than what the Soviets fielded in the early 40's.   Then you get to the M1 Garand vs. the SAFN49...man that's a really tough one there. 

Of course it's all a moot point as the 'battle rifle' pretty much went the way of the dinosaur right about the time FN was hawking those SAFN49s so "Which is better?" will forever be one of those questions that nobody will ever be able to answer.   chuckles1

Hope she shoots well for you!  clap1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 05:06:47 PM »
Excellent!  Looking forward to a full pictorial spread  thumb1

SVT-40, 3 SKSs, etc......  Why do you need a kitchen remodel if all you can afford to eat is ramen noodles with spam?  chuckles1

Offline newchi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 07:20:34 PM »
Ramen noodles with spam?  Well la-da-dah with your fancy eating. drool2

My totally unadjusted svt pretty much puts the shells right in front of the shooting bench, fwiw.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 09:20:08 PM »
I didn't think my SVT40 was anything horrible to break down and clean. Was pretty easy from what I recall.

And I miss the damn thing. Never should have gotten rid of it. Such an awesome gun. And how can you beat 3" groups at 100 yards from a 75 year old rifle?