Author Topic: Russian AK Mag Variant Build: FINISHED IT!!!  (Read 19277 times)

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
Russian AK Mag Variant Build: FINISHED IT!!!
« on: September 18, 2016, 08:33:01 PM »
First things first......I did NOT do this to the receiver.....lol. It was a shot out barreled receiver purchased from Guns America from a few years back. It was what I believe to be a 1950 Tula. The receiver has been deeply scrubbed due to corrosion I can assume. Double triangle stamps....not a clue. Liski stamp maybe? Stock retainer has the spot welded blob, so I am assuming it was a 49-50 refurb? It took me a long time to hog out the receiver to get the AK mag to fit.....lot's of test fitting for sure....
 The barrel came from a 54 Izhevsk that someone had cut down to 16 and crowned. The plan is to put it in a factory Russian stock, modify it with a metal magwell and then possibly fit a Russian scope setup on it. The AK trigger assembly in the pic is a Chinese SKS 84 unit and after snapping it in place, the AK mag clicked into place solidly.
I'm going to take an original SKS milled trigger assembly, and make it almost identical to the 84, but with the easier features of the M or D.....with a little longer paddle for the release. Anyway.....just tinkering.
 One note though.....the cut in the rail I have always wondered about on some M's and D's.....now I know why it's there.......allows for mag lip clearance upon insertion. My engagement angle might have to be adjusted by lowering the fwd mag locking lip.
I don't have pics of the bolt and carrier yet....but it's a 1950 unit with the spring loaded firing pin. Please.....no coronary's....I will be modifying the bolt to make it work with the AK mags.....
 Does anyone have any reference on this receivers serial number as far as where it falls out in a possible year?

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 11:11:13 PM by padams8888 »

Offline XXXSKS

• HOT DAMN Commercial SKS EXPERT YeeeeeeeeHaaaaaa
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • AC/T84 "D" KS-30 MC-5D "M" NR Sporter 63 93
Re: Russian AK Mag Variant Build
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 01:38:00 AM »
WOW Pat a tinker er. I didn't think you had this kind of project in you. Looks bitichen. Take lots of pics and keep us informed. I have my self wanted to build a Ruski Para with a 45 degree gas block ( Oh Gawd I can here the groans)

8)..............Joe
WELP ....................HORK SPIT........................

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 05:37:55 AM »
Got a feeling atf will be contacting you one day real soon. There is a reason Midwest Ordnance       stopped doing their ak mag conversions.

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 05:39:32 AM »
That's considered "manufacturing" a firearm by the atf and you'd need special licensing to do it legally!

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 09:05:14 AM »
Got a feeling atf will be contacting you one day real soon. There is a reason Midwest Ordnance       stopped doing their ak mag conversions.
That's considered "manufacturing" a firearm by the atf and you'd need special licensing to do it legally!

Suggest you brush up on your 18 U.S. Code § 922 as this is not true. Midwest Ordinance building many hundreds of conversions for resale is in a far different category than the build shown in this thread intended for personal use.  I'm sure padams8888 will be compliant with all federal, state, and municipal laws when he is done including the always important NFA (machine gun, min barrel length, etc.)

ATF even explains in their Q&As:
What is ATF doing in regards to people making their own firearms?

An individual may generally make a firearm for personal use. However, individuals engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms for sale or distribution must be licensed by ATF. Additionally, there are certain restrictions on the making of firearms subject to the National Firearms Act.

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 06:57:31 AM »

Suggest you brush up on your 18 U.S. Code § 922 as this is not true. Midwest Ordinance building many hundreds of conversions for resale is in a far different category than the build shown in this thread intended for personal use.  I'm sure padams8888 will be compliant with all federal, state, and municipal laws when he is done including the always important NFA (machine gun, min barrel length, etc.)

ATF even explains in their Q&As:
What is ATF doing in regards to people making their own firearms?

An individual may generally make a firearm for personal use. However, individuals engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms for sale or distribution must be licensed by ATF. Additionally, there are certain restrictions on the making of firearms subject to the National Firearms Act.

Interesting! Has this recently changed? I've been a LEO five years and when I hired in I recall it was illegal to manufacturer even for your own personal use unless you went through NFA or other licensing.

Offline XXXSKS

• HOT DAMN Commercial SKS EXPERT YeeeeeeeeHaaaaaa
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • AC/T84 "D" KS-30 MC-5D "M" NR Sporter 63 93
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 11:18:58 AM »
Interesting! Has this recently changed? I've been a LEO five years and when I hired in I recall it was illegal to manufacturer even for your own personal use unless you went through NFA or other licensing.

He is not manufacturing a machine gun. He is modifying one rifle to accept hi capacity mags. All that is required is 922 compliance.

8)...........................Joe
WELP ....................HORK SPIT........................

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 11:38:09 AM »
I'm an FFL and a gunsmith, so I'm pretty up on the laws. It is not illegal to manufacture your own firearm. It IS illegal to manufacture a firearm and SELL it. THEN you are considered a manufacturer. And if you manufacture a class 3 firearm (machine gun, short barrel rifle, short barrel shotgun, or a firearm with a suppressor), you still need a tax stamp from the ATF to own it.

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 05:14:01 PM »
WOW......lol.....been outta town most of the weekend......I can assure anyone that is concerned, I am in compliance.  There is no manufacturing involved. Modifying, yes....and in so doing, must be 922 compliant. I also wasn't aware we had LEO finger waving going on in here.....if you have a question or concern...why not drop me a personal message? I'm pretty friendly......lol. Moving on now.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 05:21:39 PM »
WOW......lol.....been outta town most of the weekend......I can assure anyone that is concerned, I am in compliance.  There is no manufacturing involved. Modifying, yes....and in so doing, must be 922 compliant. I also wasn't aware we had LEO finger waving going on in here.....if you have a question or concern...why not drop me a personal message? I'm pretty friendly......lol. Moving on now.

Even 922 is kind of trivial. That rule was mainly for importers bringing non-us firearms into the country. My ATF agent told me they rarely care about 922 on the end user level.

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 05:42:42 PM »

Even 922 is kind of trivial. That rule was mainly for importers bringing non-us firearms into the country. My ATF agent told me they rarely care about 922 on the end user level.
thumb1

Offline xtriggerman

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 12:35:05 PM »
I remanufactured a stock Yugo into this and then mailed it to the BATFE Technology branch W. Virginia for a new 922r compliant list. I actually have it lettered for full 922r compliant with only 5 US made parts. I also made them give me an approval on the use of a Lower that has a FA selector capability. Todays BATFE is only concerned if it's configuration is full auto capable. Back when I was in business the BATF was hot on the "easily convertible" definition. I imagine court cases had them step away from that stance. But I digress, I like the way the mag latch is situated on your Russian reman. I don't like cutting threw the bolt guide rail like they do on the M & D's and apparently who ever did yours used one as a guide. I add a latching lip for the front of the mag by way of drill & tap or barrel washer extension but in doing so I ramp the barrel a bit since the mag sits a bit lower. Done this way, it feeds RN ammo without issue. Good Luck with it.

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 12:06:18 AM »
Got my trigger assembly yesterday......was buried in the garage due to the weather and made some progress. I used a Polish trigger guard.....cut it down......worked the angles and cut down the magazine release to fit, then tac welded it for now. The sear spring was replaced with a shorter one and I drilled a new hole and put a pin across fitting flush.  The original engagement pin posed a problem with the magazine release......so, I cut it internally, spot welded the ends and called it good. The magazines insert and lock solidly but do wobble for to aft a little.....so....I'm in the hunt for a longer release. Almost there.....pay No attention to my oblong holes.....lol.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 04:07:02 AM by padams8888 »

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 09:56:52 AM »
I'm an FFL and a gunsmith, so I'm pretty up on the laws. It is not illegal to manufacture your own firearm. It IS illegal to manufacture a firearm and SELL it.
It isn't illegal to sell a gun you have made for your own purpose. It IS illegal to make one TO SELL without a license.

That said, I'm diggin' the SKS!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 07:08:03 PM »
Sorry guys...  No clue why this was locked earlier.  One of us numbnuts must have fat fingered our phone or something.   ???

Nice project man....    thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 07:46:25 PM »

It isn't illegal to sell a gun you have made for your own purpose.

According to my ATF agent, it is very illegal. How do you prove the difference between you made it for yourself and decided to sell it and you made it for someone else? You can't sell a firearm that you manufactured for yourself, with no serial and no records.

BTW we are talking about manufacturing a firearm, not building one from premade parts like a serialed AR lower. That is perfectly fine...because the serial has been recorded by the manufacturer of the lower. Now if you buy a blank unfinished AR lower, and do all the final machining, you can own that gun, but you can't SELL that gun.

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 09:07:31 AM »

It isn't illegal to sell a gun you have made for your own purpose.

According to my ATF agent, it is very illegal. How do you prove the difference between you made it for yourself and decided to sell it and you made it for someone else? You can't sell a firearm that you manufactured for yourself, with no serial and no records.

BTW we are talking about manufacturing a firearm, not building one from premade parts like a serialed AR lower. That is perfectly fine...because the serial has been recorded by the manufacturer of the lower. Now if you buy a blank unfinished AR lower, and do all the final machining, you can own that gun, but you can't SELL that gun.
I am referring to all the AK parts kit builds on 80% receivers or flats that people build for themselves, and then later decide to sell. My understanding is that it is perfectly legal to sell one, and it happens quite frequently.
As far as building to sell, that has to be proven by the Agency.

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2016, 07:50:12 PM »
Got it roughed in and function checked. Loaded a magazine with 3 rounds and performed perfectly. It was at this time I remembered the magazine release was only tac welded....lol. So...welded it in and cleaned it up. Its going to end up in a Russian stock and handguard. I will fab up a magazine well too. I'm kicking around an idea of modifying a AK style fsb  and threading the barrel end for a barrel nut.

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 03:58:41 PM »
Progress being made! Received my Russian laminate stock and got busy filling in the fwd protrusion gap. The magwell is a heavily modified M14 piece from 2 yard sale stocks. All mags I've tried so far....except bakes, fit. Barrel is at the shop getting turned down and threaded.  I'm getting there...

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 11:59:30 PM »
Lookin' sharp Pat!  This will definitely be a unique gun when all is said and done.