Author Topic: Mauser Newb  (Read 14657 times)

Offline Shotz90s

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Mauser Newb
« on: January 04, 2016, 09:00:34 AM »
I ran across a M98 Mauser at a box store last night. In the back of my head I've always had a thing for them however I will admit that I know absolutely NOTHING about Mausers other than I like how they look. Question is... what do I look for? This one has a Yugo crest from what I've found on the Google and import mark says Germany. Beyond that, the wood is in good condition (no cracks or dings) and the metal has no rust nor does the bore. They are asking $279. Personally I wanted a German model but I'm not sure of the rarity of them and what the price difference is between a Yugo and German. Or am I just being too picky LOL. Thanks in advance for any input.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Mauser Newb
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 10:07:43 AM »
My Yugo M24/47 shoots just as well as any K98 but price wise, the two are not even in the same area code.  K98s are a world unto their own and one little stamping here or a mismatched part there has wicked crazy (some would say ridiculous) effect on the price.  I'm not brave enough to test those waters yet, though one day I hope to own a true german K98 of some flavor.

Depending on whether you're looking at an M24, M24/47, a M48, M48A, B, BO etc. I don't think $279 is a horrible deal.  I've seen nice ones go north of $400 recently, but condition is of course key in determining whether it's a good deal or not.  I will say this, they are not really all that scarce, you always have the option to shop around and eventually a nice one will fall into your lap at a good price.

The ammo market for 7.92×57 mm is hit or miss.  Sometimes you can find a guy liquidating an estate or just flipping some good quality surplus ammo at great prices.   Other times, it seems that corrosive surplus is 85% what you'd pay for new production S&B or Prvi boxer primed/brass cased stuff.  Best to stay away from the Iranian/Persian surplus that is being sold for ~$0.30/round as long handgfires and misfires are pretty universally encountered with this stuff.  Turkish, Yugo, Greek, or Romanian surplus is all GTG though.

Blicero is the one to ask, I'm sure he'll be along shortly to impart some knowledge. 

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 10:22:20 AM »
The Yugoslavians refurbished a lot of captured German rifles after WWII including Gew98 (long rifles, 29" barrel, straight bolt handle) and K98k (short rifles, 23.6" barrel, bent bolt handle originally but Yugos may be found with straight bolts). From your description of the rifle, $279 doesn't sound bad, I'd see if he'd take $250 but wouldn't be put out to pay the full asking price. The benefit of one of these M98s over most of the other Yugo Mausers is that it has a standard Model 98 pattern receiver, large ring/long length. The Yugo M48 and M24/47s have different length receivers so certain replacement parts (bolt bodies) from other standard Mausers won't fit. Not a big deal to me since I keep them in "as found" condition, but just some info.

The Yugo M98 rifles will be cheaper typically than the Russian Capture (RC) K98s and Romanian K98s. They've been mostly scrubbed of German markings and remarked with Yugo crests or markings. Some of the Russians have the Third Reich markings intact but the stocks are shellacked, have a SN stamped horizontally on the left side of the buttstock and usually have crossed rifles (an X) on the receiver. All of the Romanian capture K98s that I've seen have the German markings peened or scrubbed. All of these will have mismatched parts.

Authentic German K98k rifles will start around $500 (if you're lucky) for complete mismatches, to $750+ for bolt mismatch (bolt matching internally but different from the matching rifle numbers) and $1200 on up for full matching. If you get into the arena of German 98s consult someone who really knows their stuff, since dicked with examples are often encountered.

If you pick it up, good heavy ball (198 gr) brass cased Berdan primed (corrosive primer) ammo is the Yugoslavian M75 sniper ammo currently available at SG Ammo. This stuff is relatively recent manufacture (1990s) and in my experience it's great sure-fire ammo with good accuracy.

Offline Shotz90s

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 10:50:32 AM »
I love this site. Not only is it entertaining, but I get lessons in history for which I'm always grateful. I'm offering a bit less so if they take it I'll have a new toy and spend the next 2 weeks scrubbing cosmo off of it. I had no idea that the German versions were going for that much money so thank you for that bit of knowledge. Like you R-M, I'm not ready to take that much of a plunge yet. Not until I own a beautiful Russian SKS of my own since 2 chinese and a yugo aren't enough. Being the tight-a** that I am it'll probably be a good long time until I get that as well. Thank you again!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 06:54:41 PM »
You aint kidding Shotz..  I'm a virgin in regards to many platforms and there is always an sksfiles member or two that have a good idea whats what.   thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Shotz90s

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 09:34:11 AM »
So much talent and knowledge in one spot, I love it! Well, no Mauser for me. No budging on price so I'm holding tight for now. Probably a good thing, the car has a crapped out control arm so I'll be dropping some cash for that. At least that I can do myself. Agh....  Thanks again everyone.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 10:12:08 AM »
Another one will come along Shotz!  There's always another day for another firearm!  These old Mausers aren't going anywhere.  thumb1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 11:40:06 AM »
Another one will come along Shotz!  There's always another day for another firearm!  These old Mausers aren't going anywhere.  thumb1

+1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 12:26:43 PM »

No where, but up, up in price. When these were imported 4-5 years ago, Aim was selling them, with the M24/47s. M48s, for around 150-200 based on condition. The Mod98 Yugo refurbs, while generally looked down on by "German" Mauser collectors. it is a sure ticket to get a bonafied German Mauser with out the extreme German overhead in cost. So alot of people who don't want to pay the extravagant German price hunt these down, simply to fill a hole in their Mauser collection. While not a true blue blue sparkling piece of WWII history, yes, while they were used by Germany, they are just as much a start of the Cold War era, given Yugoslavia rebuilt them between '48 and '52 or so and stored them along side the M48s, M24/47s and such.

Now I have two German 98s, the scrubbed Yugo I walked away with it for 240 OTD, the ce43, I got lucky, it cost me 2 Yugo Mausers, the reality cost, 4 or more of thoseYugoslavian refurbs. Difference in quality....absolutely nothing, with the exception of mismatch numbers, and it's a guessing game on the maker and year. It's still German built, still a Mauser, even has a few German swastikas and an eagle stamps remaining and the same red glue laminated stock. Ok, the butt plate is different, but none the less, it's still German. You still can't see the barrel crest or mismatched numbers when looking through the rear sight thumb1

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 12:45:54 PM »
No where, but up, up in price. When these were imported 4-5 years ago, Aim was selling them, with the M24/47s. M48s, for around 150-200 based on condition.

Very true GM.  I think I picked mine up for $149 shipped way back in November, 2001.  They really haven't appreciated all that much in the past 15 years.  While they will still be around later, there's no guarantee that the ones you do find will be around at the price you want to pay.  It's the curse of a milsurp collector: do you buy now and possibly miss out on the next deal (that may or may never come along) because you've over-extended and spent your wad, or pass on this one in the hopes the next deal (which may or may never come along) is better.

It's almost universally true to collectors on a budget that they either a) have the money to buy the gun they want but can't find the gun, or b) the opportunity to buy a great gun but have no money available.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 01:10:29 PM »
It's almost universally true to collectors on a budget that they either a) have the money to buy the gun they want but can't find the gun, or b) the opportunity to buy a great gun but have no money available.

And sadly in 10-15 years, the prices will be astronomical(yeah RM, even on Mosins :) ), for the simple 3 reasons, 1/They either ain't made anymore, or haven't been made in 50+years and 2/The surplus well pump is starting to suck the muck off the bottom, cause the well is quickly drying up. There is not an infinite number of any one weapon 3/ Imagine the modern costs associated with remaking some of the actions, a K31 or M95 Steyr, or even trying to make a modern day Luger or a Broomhandle, it would be an expensive under taking and extremely cost prohibitive.
Just like the American weapons, in the 70's and 80's M1 Carbines and Garands were sold in trashpails in Roses and at the WoolWorths for 49-99 bucks, ask my 'ol man as he snickers about those as he greedily rubs his I.H.C., his I.B.M and H&R bat1 

Ramen Noodles baby, the surplus collectors 7 course meal  rofl thumb1 or donate plasma  rofl2 chuckles1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 01:58:10 PM »
I was at Sarco a few times recently... They still have what must be hundreds and hundreds of yugo mausers for like $169

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 10:29:21 PM »

Just like the American weapons, in the 70's and 80's M1 Carbines and Garands were sold in trashpails in Roses and at the WoolWorths for 49-99 bucks, ask my 'ol man as he snickers about those as he greedily rubs his I.H.C., his I.B.M and H&R bat1 

The Rose's in my area sold SKSs for $119.95 everyday and put them on sale for $89.95  every Christmas and summer. I've heard so many stories of trashcans that were filled with Mosins and Swiss rifles as well. I personaly know of 3 Finnish M91's that were bought out of the cans for $54.95  :o ( I've already got my greedy hands on 2 of 'em and as soon as I can figure out how to con trade 1 out of a preacher, w/o going to hell...I'll have all 3  rofl)

I've been trying my best to stay away from mausers, ended up with a couple by chance, cuz I sure don't need another addiction. But got a feeling a couple of YUGO mausers I've let walk....will be joining the ever growing list of "kicking myself in the a**" cuz I should have got 'em when I had the chance.

Amen Brother!
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Shotz90s

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 10:48:51 PM »
Still German built... Darn it, now I'm reconsidering my choice in passing it up  Besplode  Guess I'll have to keep sticking to my guns and ignore what I stopped and looked at again tonight haha.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 03:30:34 AM »
Still German built... Darn it, now I'm reconsidering my choice in passing it up  Besplode  Guess I'll have to keep sticking to my guns and ignore what I stopped and looked at again tonight haha.
I have a problem sticking to guns too. Guess that's why they're always following me home...wait, that's not quite what you said  ???  chuckles1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 11:55:12 AM »

What was it, hummm? :) Did ya buy it? Ya got some pictures ;)  Dude, it's just a control arm, you got one on the other side too. rofl rofl

I have a problem sticking to guns too. Guess that's why they're always following me home...wait, that's not quite what you said  ???  chuckles1

thumb1 thumb1 hey, break through on isle 5, P32 has publicly admitted he has an addiction.. Thats the first step brother, let it out, let it flow.   rofl2 rofl2 rofl

Offline Shotz90s

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 03:56:42 PM »
No. I didn't buy it. Yet... I promised myself no more toys until at least spring after splurging on a Yugo from Gander when they had their sale. After that, I said no more. Then this one walked into my life and wiggled the rear of its stock at me. I was smitten. Its marked exactly like GM's mauser. I am still having unpure thoughts about it.

I now understand drug addiction and hoarders.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 04:05:14 PM by Shotz90s »

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 05:10:55 PM »

thumb1 thumb1 hey, break through on isle 5, P32 has publicly admitted he has an addiction.. Thats the first step brother, let it out, let it flow.   rofl2 rofl2 rofl

Yeah, so, wanna make something of it  bat1 Like your tagline GM "I didn't say I had a problem!"  rofl

P.S. My first AK should be shipping soon

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 05:31:48 PM »
Yeah....so, wanna make a big deal out of it.. bat1. I openly admit, I'm an addict,  but I don't, have a problem :orofl2 chuckles1 rofl.  What kinda Ak, you hoarder rofl

Hoarder? :o
Wait...I know you are, but what am I :P

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 05:47:53 PM »
 rofl

A "QC inspected" WASR 10 from Atlantic. Just something to see if I like the platform.  Not sure if I'll like that new-fangled 7.62x39mm cartridge  :o  rofl