Author Topic: Chilean M1895 Mauser in 7mm  (Read 5329 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Chilean M1895 Mauser in 7mm
« on: May 10, 2015, 10:59:46 PM »
Guy wants to trade it for something I have. It is sportered, but looks nice. My question is, would it be 2 lug or 3 lug, in case a guy wanted to re-barrel it? I assume 7mm is decent for hunting and have heard the Surplus ammo is mild in its charge so not bed on recoil. Don't have any other info yet, but will post it as I get it. Also looking for a value. Last time I saw a Spanish M1916 like this it went for $150, but this is a different animal isn't it?
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Chilean M1895 Mauser in 7mm
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 11:08:21 PM »
Two lug, mild recoil, well built, whether by Loewe or DWM.  Personally, I wouldn't give a lot for a sporterized model. 100-150 sounds right. If it's a DWM with the Boer contract "OVS" markings then I'd grab it even if it's sporterized and would pay a bit more.  Of course, then I'd be obligated to search for a replacement stock  banghead1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 11:14:06 PM »
There ain't much the 7mm hasn't killed, Walter Bell hunted and killed over 1000 elephants, with a 7mm Mauser, so don't think for a second, it's weak or under powered for hunting.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 11:20:50 PM »
Not worried about being under powered, but over-powered. I am still dealing with a shoulder issue and am just now getting back into shooting anything over a 22. I want to make sure it isn't going to have too much recoil. Also, wanting to make sure I have the info needed so when I look at it I know whether I am 1. getting a deal or not, 2. how much to give on it, and 3. whether I should be looking to restore it or not.
Here is a pic. Looks like the original stock , but modified.(maybe)
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 09:30:35 AM »
Yup, cut down stock on a long rifle.  Too bad, that tiger striped walnut looks beautiful.  To restore it, you'd need a stock, handguard and both barrel bands.  Would set you back about $160 at Liberty Tree. https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3536&idcategory=50  Might be able to find them cheaper with some patient scrounging.  I'm still in the $100-150 range on this if it has a very good bore and smooth action, and good Chilean crest and markings, since it'll end up as a mismatch if you restore it, and I don't think it'd be worth more than $300 as restored.

They kick just a little bit harder than a Swede, which is to say, not much.  More than an SKS, that's for sure.

BTW, the O.V.S. (Oranje Frij Staat) mark I mentioned is very rare but found on the left side of the receiver near the SN of some of these Chilean contract rifles.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 09:44:42 AM »
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=481943063
Sadly, this Chilean/OVS has a sanded and refinished stock, so he's asking too much.  If the stock wasn't messed with he'd at least be in the ballpark on his asking price for an OVS marked Chilean.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=480145551
Here's a nice straight up M1895 Chilean that'll probably go for $450-500 (or maybe higher with the GB factor).