Author Topic: MAK-90  (Read 9112 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
MAK-90
« on: September 09, 2017, 08:24:18 PM »
Made my rounds of the few shops in town a week ago Thursday looking for unusual SKSs, or whatever, and this Chinese AK followed me home from a pawn shop. Just a nice 1994 MAK-90 carbine with matching numbers, and without the original thumbhole stock (which actually attracted me to it).  It has a sweet double hook trigger that is the most consistent trigger pull of any firearm I've ever measured; 4lb 9oz for the average of 5 measurements with a spread of only 0.6oz between the highest and lowest measurement  :o  Had it out at the range today (with a standard 30 rd mag) and it performed well.

The 75 round drum I picked up a couple of months ago when Cope's Distributing advertised that they had a few...they were gone within an hour. More of a curiosity than an everyday magazine. Sometime I'll have to load it and try it out. Similarly for the Chinese spam can, auction a couple of months ago. I want to open it out of curiosity but it seems milsurp Chinese ammo has become collectable...so haven't decided whether to crack it open or not.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: MAK-90
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 08:47:37 PM »
 drool2  Oh yeah.. thumb1  The triggers are flat out the bomb on these..even the Tapco I have in my WASR aint got nothing on it. The Red Star in my PSL is close..

Now for gits and shiggles, go get the WASR and compare the two. Especially the diameter of the barrel. I know the answer.. but  ::)  :)

Don't open the ammo... sit on it and let grow  :)
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline newchi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 09:42:40 PM »
Nice.
Without the handle it would be a pain to open anyhow, just keep the ammo.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 10:51:40 PM »
Yeah honestly I haven't opened any spam cans of military surplus in ages.  Even formerly plentiful 7.62x54R has become precious.

Hey GM, I looked at my barrel (micrometer battery is dead) and didn't see a visible difference in diameter between the MAK and my 2015 WASR-10. Big difference between them in regard to the bolt carrier group; metal alloy and finishing work are superior on the MAK.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 11:58:29 PM »
Lookin sharp Jon! Very nice! thumb1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 12:27:27 AM »
Yeah honestly I haven't opened any spam cans of military surplus in ages.  Even formerly plentiful 7.62x54R has become precious.

Hey GM, I looked at my barrel (micrometer battery is dead) and didn't see a visible difference in diameter between the MAK and my 2015 WASR-10. Big difference between them in regard to the bolt carrier group; metal alloy and finishing work are superior on the MAK.

Dead batteries..... go old school.. an 'ol skool dial indicator never dies rofl just like an 'ol slipstick never needs batteries... thumb1 or slide rule for the younger bunch  chuckles1

Also... if you have a pressed barrel SKS and get bored.. measure and compare the two barrels (when you get new batteries.......of course)
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 08:39:45 AM »
nice, another one for my want list.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 07:50:44 PM »

MAK barrel is AK pattern, WASR is AKM.  :P Very sweet rifle, that furniture really adds to the score.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 02:39:11 PM »
Lookin sharp Jon! Very nice! thumb1

Thanks Joe!  :)

nice, another one for my want list.  thumb1

;) Thanks Carl!  Happy to be an enabler  :))

MAK barrel is AK pattern, WASR is AKM.  :P Very sweet rifle, that furniture really adds to the score.

Thanks Stoned_Oli!  I'll have to get "Grim Reaper" off the book shelf and read up on the differences between the  AK and AKM barrels, and do some hands on measurements when I find my old school micrometer or get a battery (and am back in town).

Dead batteries..... go old school.. an 'ol skool dial indicator never dies rofl just like an 'ol slipstick never needs batteries... thumb1 or slide rule for the younger bunch  chuckles1

Also... if you have a pressed barrel SKS and get bored.. measure and compare the two barrels (when you get new batteries.......of course)

...as for you GM  bat1   chuckles1

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 05:41:56 AM »
  Jon, it looks like we had the same electro-pencil guy doing the "artwork" on our MAK's;

Regardless of the lousy 'electro-penciling", the MAK's definitly have their fine points! Mine still has the Thumbhole stock on it. But I'd like to make it look like yours asap. I'm with the other guys here about that Chinese Ammo can. Keep it sealed and dry. It'll just get more valuable. There's plenty of other ammo to shoot.

And, on a seperate MAK-90...

I still regret selling my Polytech MAK-90 that I had. Sold it for a song. Even let it go with a Polytech 30rd steel magazine, w/stainless follower.

Good looking MAK-90, Jon! Thanks for posting it up!

firstchoice

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 03:39:08 PM »
Thanks FC! 

Yeah, I guess all of the importers were using this inefficient electropenciling of the import mark.

Interesting that unlike your MAK-90, mine has the "SPORTER" stamped instead of EP'd. I wonder if yours was already built up (earlier in 1994?) then had to be retrofitted to meet the new export version requirements, so they EP'd SPORTER instead *shrug*

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 05:02:49 AM »
94 mak straight cut no turned down barrel

Canis designs m4 adapter.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 07:53:41 AM »
Wait wait.....   a Norinco roll stamp done at factory prior to bluing!?!?

:o

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 04:08:06 AM »
Is that rust on the trigger and hammer pins?

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 08:02:08 AM »

I've seen many of the Chinese AK variants with the plum-colored pins and trigger components. (hammers were like that) Definitely not rust. Not sure if it was an anodizing process or something else.

firstchoice

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2018, 05:40:31 PM »

I've seen many of the Chinese AK variants with the plum-colored pins and trigger components. (hammers were like that) Definitely not rust. Not sure if it was an anodizing process or something else.

firstchoice

The hammers were a gold color case hardening. 

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2018, 06:40:45 PM »

Looks like a plum colored "bluing". Definitely not rust.

Offline scottyB

• Newber
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2018, 08:46:33 PM »
Nice Mak 90

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 10:07:12 PM »

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2018, 05:14:43 AM »
Man,

I just installed a red star arms trigger and disconnector. I got em adjusted with hardly any reset and hardly any take up. It breaks smooth as glass. I opted to keep the gold Norinco hammer with black spring. The pull is around 4.5". Alot smoother than the Norinco trigger.