Author Topic: my ar15  (Read 24722 times)

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
my ar15
« on: June 25, 2016, 04:25:09 AM »
Well as yall know I bought me an Anderson lower. I found this on sale yesterday at Midway. I sold a few things and bought it. I hope it turns out good. It got good reviews.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/104578/ar-stoner-ar-15-a3-upper-receiver-assembly-762x39mm-16-barrel

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: my ar15
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 05:58:47 AM »
.312 diameter to the lands?

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 08:04:25 PM »
.312 diameter to the lands?

I Just noticed that's what it says.  What's that mean?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 01:44:17 AM »
I'd guess some barrels are available in 7.62x39 with a standard .308 bore, some with the correct .310 bore. The x39 normally uses a .310 barrel, Aks, SKS, Mosins, Enfields and Arisakas all are .310, not .308 like Amercian, Swiss or French weapons use. I believe Ruger Mini 30s had this in there early variants, later ones had correct bore size. .002 aint much, but might add some extra pressure swagging a .310 bullet into a .308 bore. The advantage to the .308 barrels, alot more choices in reloading and rolling your own for accuracy, .310 advantage use any normal commercial ammo without worry.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 04:15:27 AM »
I'd guess some barrels are available in 7.62x39 with a standard .308 bore, some with the correct .310 bore. The x39 normally uses a .310 barrel, Aks, SKS, Mosins, Enfields and Arisakas all are .310, not .308 like Amercian, Swiss or French weapons use. I believe Ruger Mini 30s had this in there early variants, later ones had correct bore size. .002 aint much, but might add some extra pressure swagging a .310 bullet into a .308 bore. The advantage to the .308 barrels, alot more choices in reloading and rolling your own for accuracy, .310 advantage use any normal commercial ammo without worry.

Could be a misprint to midway has a habit of doing that at times. It gets rave reviews on there 4.6 out of 5 is pretty good so I figured it was a good deal. It's the only one I could find in stock to that wasn't 500 or more!

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 02:09:11 PM »
Congratulations sksmcrossvilletn! From the write-up in the link you posted it seems they may not supply them with "enhanced" firing pins like Palmetto State Armory.

"Use of steel-cased 7.62x39mm ammunition in the AR-15 platform may result in occasional light primer strikes due to the small diameter firing pin and hard military-style primers."

Don't remember where but I read, during my research before buying my AR, the enhanced FP is approx .015" longer than the regular pin. That isn't much but it's enough to "bust" that hard primer every time you squeeze the trigger! The wife and I use ASC 20 round mags and never have we had a problem with them feeding.

Enjoy it sir!

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 02:25:58 PM »
I read that to Danny, I don't do alot with ARs so any right up like this, is a learning experience. Do you use the enhanced pin? 1 thing I've wanted to know is if you switch back and forth from berdan primers to softer American boxer primers...Is there anything to watch out for?

Hey Any1....If the bore of .312 isin't a misprint..How would that effect accuracy, pressures etc?

sksmcrossvilletn, Hope it comes out well for ya. Keep us posted man, Good stuff.

Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 02:57:26 PM »
Hey Any1....If the bore of .312 isin't a misprint..How would that effect accuracy, pressures etc?
My guess it thats the groove diameter, so land diameter would be possibly .310. pressures shouldn't be a problem

Not an Ar guy, I'm a give me an Ak kinda guy, so I ain't very smart rofl

So I gotta ask....the bore and chamber aren't chrome lined, it has a phosphate finish, which I'm sure extends into the chamber. Maybe my common sense is showing, or I just don't "really" understand Ars, but dirty commie ammo, a rough phosphate finish and some ammo with the nasty case sealer, I don't see being a good mix for case extraction. 

Maybe I'm over thinking it senil1 crazyp1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 03:39:11 PM »
I read that to Danny, I don't do alot with ARs so any right up like this, is a learning experience. Do you use the enhanced pin? 1 thing I've wanted to know is if you switch back and forth from berdan primers to softer American boxer primers...Is there anything to watch out for?

sksmcrossvilletn, Hope it comes out well for ya. Keep us posted man, Good stuff.

Hippie we use the enhanced pin because Palmetto State Armory ships all their 7.62X39mm carbines with this installed in the bolt. I don't know if other manufacturers do this also. As far as changing to the softer primer ammo I couldn't say because we have never fired anything other than Wolf & Red Army Standard.

BBush might come along and chime in on this as he has a PSA carbine (or two) in X39mm also, maybe he has fired some of the softer primer ammo you speak of. I wouldn't THINK it would make a difference but then it's a good thing that I don't get paid to think!

So I gotta ask....the bore and chamber aren't chrome lined, it has a phosphate finish, which I'm sure extends into the chamber. Maybe my common sense is showing, or I just don't "really" understand Ars, but dirty commie ammo, a rough phosphate finish and some ammo with the nasty case sealer, I don't see being a good mix for case extraction. 

Maybe I'm over thinking it senil1 crazyp1

GM it hasn't been a problem with us and I haven't heard of anyone else having stuck cases so far. But to guard against that happening I have several AR bore brushes for 7.62X39 caliber that I chuck up in my trusty battery powered drill and give the chambers a good scrubbing. I starting doing this a couple of years ago to our SKS carbine chambers because of the old lacquer-looking coating on Russian ammo, I still have a couple of thousand of those rounds!

Online Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 04:14:18 PM »
Funny this thread mentions the Anderson AR because Ive been thinking of buying one of these AR's  complete . Sportsman guide has them for 474.00 with 5 star reviews. Would the X39 upper in this thread work with this gun also ?
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/anderson-carbine-556-nato-semi-automatic-rifle?a=1911774

Never owned an AR but for the price and reviews on these Anderson I see no reason not to try one out  :)

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 06:00:43 PM »
Yes the X39mm upper will work on this Anderson you listed if that is what you are asking...I'm not really sure!. Slide out the two pins in the reciever swap the uppers and re-pin it, 15 seconds and you are done.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 08:19:41 PM »

The land diameter (bore) should be .300 (7.62mm) even though the groove diameter is .312. I would guess it would lower pressures somewhat (perhaps take a little off velocity?) when shooting commercial 7.62x39mm ammo with standard .310 diameter projectiles.

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 08:22:18 PM »
Congratulations sksmcrossvilletn! From the write-up in the link you posted it seems they may not supply them with "enhanced" firing pins like Palmetto State Armory.

"Use of steel-cased 7.62x39mm ammunition in the AR-15 platform may result in occasional light primer strikes due to the small diameter firing pin and hard military-style primers."

Don't remember where but I read, during my research before buying my AR, the enhanced FP is approx .015" longer than the regular pin. That isn't much but it's enough to "bust" that hard primer every time you squeeze the trigger! The wife and I use ASC 20 round mags and never have we had a problem with them feeding.

Enjoy it sir!

Numerous people on the reviews on midway said they fired berdan primed steel cased ammo fine. If it doesn't work I can buy an enhanced firing pin for 13 00 no big deal. I wanted a psa upper but they don't make them anymore.   

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 09:28:33 PM »
sksmcrossvilletn I hate to hear that about the PSA P47 16" uppers. I even did a search in their site using their SKU number and it turned up nothing. Like bbush said it was probably because they are really pushing that new rifle but that still makes no sense. The PSA 47 was a good selling upper!

Anyway, I'm glad you got one, and I hope it serves you well.

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 05:17:04 AM »
Me to. 

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 04:05:03 PM »

Hippie we use the enhanced pin because Palmetto State Armory ships all their 7.62X39mm carbines with this installed in the bolt. I don't know if other manufacturers do this also. As far as changing to the softer primer ammo I couldn't say because we have never fired anything other than Wolf & Red Army Standard.

BBush might come along and chime in on this as he has a PSA carbine (or two) in X39mm also, maybe he has fired some of the softer primer ammo you speak of. I wouldn't THINK it would make a difference but then it's a good thing that I don't get paid to think!

I've only fired steel cased ammo through mine. Golden Tiger and the Bears, no issues here.

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 03:35:48 AM »
I do have a black rifle arms enhanced firing pin on standby if needed!

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 03:37:23 AM »
On a side note what trigger is everyone running in their x39 ar on here? I was thinking the alg defense combat with the heavier spring might be the way to go.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 09:51:54 AM »
Ours are the standard trigger installed by the manufacturers used by PSA, whatever that is...I have no idea. But our triggers are actually decent as is so we felt no need to alter or change them right now.

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2016, 04:26:50 AM »
Well the upper came in and I installed my black rifle arms enhanced firing pin. I'm thinking I should have gotten chrome lined bore as it was hard as hell to clean.