Author Topic: Stuck on bolt disassembly  (Read 4976 times)

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Stuck on bolt disassembly
« on: August 28, 2016, 05:07:25 PM »
Help.....  I'm in the process of cleaning my German/Yugo 98K and have run into a snag. 

Okay, I've removed the first screw off thingy from the firing pin assembly and put the pin in the hole and stood on it to compress the spring, but cannot figure out how to remove the cocking piece part.  Does this unscrew or does it just pull out?  The safety is in the up position, BTW (or at least it was when I started this process)...

Dayum, I've never needed so many tools to take apart a gun before.... :o rofl2 rofl
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."  ~Benjamin Franklin

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
Re: Stuck on bolt disassembly
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 05:25:14 PM »
As long as the safety lever is in the vertical position, the cocking piece will unscrew easily.
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 05:34:48 PM »
As long as the safety lever is in the vertical position, the cocking piece will unscrew easily.

I got it...I think it was glued shut by the cosmoline.  I hope those itty bitty pieces that came off with it were supposed to.... :o

Thanks, Blicero!!
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."  ~Benjamin Franklin

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 06:03:59 PM »
lots of good vids on this on u/tube.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 06:50:25 PM »

I got it...I think it was glued shut by the cosmoline.  I hope those itty bitty pieces that came off with it were supposed to.... :o

Thanks, Blicero!!

If by itty bitty you mean parts 9 and 10, I can't say that I've ever taken those pieces out. In my opinion, for first time disassembly and thorough cleaning you should have 1,2,3 together and 7,9,10 together and the remaining pieces separated.

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 07:31:19 PM »
If by itty bitty you mean parts 9 and 10, I can't say that I've ever taken those pieces out. In my opinion, for first time disassembly and thorough cleaning you should have 1,2,3 together and 7,9,10 together and the remaining pieces separated.

Thanks, P32 for the exploded view.  thumb1 That will come in very handy when I do this again.  I did watch a couple of videos, but they went through the process so quickly, I could not catch it all... :o  Anyhooo, that's how it ended up--just as you describe (1,2,3 together and 7,9,10 together).  The added little piece was one of the trigger assembly screws that was already presoaking. 

Thank goodness, once the cosmo was removed and the parts oiled, they went back together a lot easier.  :) 

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 08:41:36 PM »
Good deal  thumb1 Removing Cosmoline and adding a good lubricant will do wonders.  Of course Cosmoline is a fine lubricant if you're routinely operating in an environment above 200F  chuckles1  I think the Mauser bolt is one of the easiest to care for and maintain once you get used to them...and as long as you don't forget the vertical safety lever rule (although you can learn to overcome that mistake fairly easily too).