Author Topic: Finally got the sks sporter updated a little.  (Read 3609 times)

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
Finally got the sks sporter updated a little.
« on: March 03, 2018, 03:40:37 PM »
I finally got the Definitive Arms ak fighter brake installed and the circle 10's fitted to the tapco stock. Now if I can just find me a great guns adapter I'd be all set.

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Finally got the sks sporter updated a little.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 06:35:53 PM »
nice work.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 01:02:23 AM »
Neat!
How do the Tech Sights do vs. the short sight range on these SKSS styled SKSs?

I have a Sporter I would just as soon bubba for use vs. mess up the original stock. I have some Tech Sights laying around but didn't consider them on a Sporter.  How hard was it to remove the takedown latch pin?

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 03:07:14 AM »
Neat!
How do the Tech Sights do vs. the short sight range on these SKSS styled SKSs?

I have a Sporter I would just as soon bubba for use vs. mess up the original stock. I have some Tech Sights laying around but didn't consider them on a Sporter.  How hard was it to remove the takedown latch pin?

Kind of hard.  Not able to remove the pin by just driving it out.  Had to do some cutting.  Also,  the stock had to be relieved where the tech sights sit on the stock. 

My 40 yr old eyes can shoot about a two to three inch group with em at 25 and 50 yards.  That's decent in my book.  I wouldn't try shooting past fifty with em due to the shorter sight radius.

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 03:07:59 AM »
These are the adjustable ts200 tech sights. 

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 03:45:33 AM »
I probably won't do any cutting, I want to leave the Sporter in about as close to being able to be returned to original as possible. While it would be nice to try the Tech Sights again, I think I would rather them on a 20" barrel SKS.  I just kind of hate the naked RSB you have to defrock for view.

My crappy 46 year old vision actually seems to like the shorter sight radius, but I have yet to shoot the beast yet. The TERRIBLE trigger is my first goal before firing. I did put a really sweet Krink style brake on it, purchased an extra short gas tube for playing around...but haven't got a stock it won't potentially fall out of without a mag in it.   My Sporter is kind of a back burner pseudo project in waiting. :)

The one thing I would like to 'fix' by messing with it at all is better mag loading. The thumbhole stock reminds me of uncomfortable fumblings in the back seats of cars as a teenage horndog. I want to say I am quicker with duckbills.  chuckles1

Did yours have a decent trigger already? Mine has a week long creep that only breaks a flea's fart of a millimeter from the trigger guard.  That is the main reason for not being rambunctious about firing it, it has been over a year.

I like the idea of being able to play with muzzle brakes with these.

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 01:32:24 PM »
NO,

I had the Murray trigger and hammer installed when kivaari did the trigger job on it. The takedown levers on these are pretty well universal so you can pretty much buy a new one to replace it if your unable to get your pin out should you ever decide you want to go back to original without the tech sights.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 09:13:40 PM »
The only permanent change I would like is to resolve the trigger. It is really bad. Bad enough for me not to shoot it yet...since it seems to still be a virgin gun. I have severe tinnitus...and I can HEAR the creep.

I probably wouldn't dig the Tech Sights on it....the sight radius wouldn't improve beyond what a normal barreled SKS would with factory sights.  I will probably save that for a future build that doesn't come with so many moral issues attached. :)

I likely will splurge for an honest to goodness trigger job for mine, despite my tinkering nature to DIY it....and the inevitability of it being better than it is currently, whether I did a 'good' job or not. 

I also meant to ask if the Tapco stocks require inletting to allow or AK mags or do they come willing to accept them? Somehow, after all these years...I have never had a Tapco stock.

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 04:29:41 AM »
The only fitting per se I had to do initially was to remove a small amount of material with an exacto knife at the rear tang of the stock where the trigger group snaps in.  The  tang there was a little long and it wouldn't allow the trigger to seat all the way.  As far as ak mags go with Chinese 30 rounders,  20 round Hungarian tankers,  20 round Koreans,  and 30 round polish polymers there was no in letting required. However,  yes in order to get the circle 10's to work since they are so fat I did have to have the stock inletted just a little bit.  I wish I could find some kind of metal filler for the front gap in front of the magazines to look more aesthetically pleasing but it's okay.  There's just a duck bill hole there.  I've got a magpul gen m3 steel reinforced ak mag in route I want to try in it now that I've had the stock inletted for fatter mags. 

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 04:43:14 AM »
Here is a little info on the Definitive Arms ak fighter brake.  It works well for semi auto as well.  The only thing with the sks is that it doesn't have the front sight detent to hold these brakes in place.  You've got to use a crush washer in order to get them to fit or a barrel nut. For aesthetics I chose a crush washer.  It's on there solid.

For 39.99 I think it's the best brake out there as far as keeping the muzzle down for follow up shots. 

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 12:09:31 AM »
Neat video...seems like a very effective brake.

I will have to consider that for other projects, especially should I get an AK