Poll

Refinish or not

Yes
1 (14.3%)
No
6 (85.7%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: March 24, 2018, 04:47:02 PM

Author Topic: Refinishing a SKS stock  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Magnumload

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Refinishing a SKS stock
« on: January 23, 2018, 03:47:02 PM »
I have a Chinese SKS made in 1973 by Norinco at factory 906. It is Catalpa wood. I am wanting to sand and refinish the wood, probably tung oil finish, and thinking of checkering it. Any opions on whether I should or not?

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
Re: Refinishing a SKS stock
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 04:01:30 PM »
hi ML,  good to have you here. if it was all original, I wouldn't do anything to it. there  only this way once. if not, do what ever makes you happy.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 09:09:13 PM »
I too would leave it alone, the /906\ has an odd variation in the magazine other SKSs don't...does yours have a crease that almost looks like a dent in the bottom?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 09:10:58 PM »
I fixed your poll to have options yes/no....... Dunno why you had them as 4/4

I would get a different chinese wood stock to mess with and leave the original alone.   thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline BARNAUL

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Newber
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 01:06:23 AM »
   Canada Eh! ::)
                               Anyhow, on our refurbed. letter guns (I like)  after taking them out of the boxes, I wash the metal in very hot water and sunlife dishsoap....then,except for bolt and piston, do a light oiling. This removes the COSMO.....I shoot black powder so its no big deal to use soap and water...
          The stock gets warm water and soap,scrubbed with a stiff brush.  Cleans off all the cosmoline ...I then use a bit of ''MOTHERS MAG WHEEL POLISH'' on the stocks varnish/Russian shelack.   It puts a fantastic shine on the SKS ,making the gun look BETTER than new WITHOUT changing any finish.  I get asked at the range,WOW ,where did you buy that one??? 

Offline Magnumload

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 01:28:38 PM »
I'm new here so trying to use to maneuvering around site, guess that's why I had 4/4 as an option. As far as I can tell rifle is all original except for bolt cover. It is aftermarket one piece see thru scope rail. The rest of the rifle has the asme ser# stamped on it as bolt does. I would have to look at factory magazine to see if it has a dent. Right now it is set up for 30 round detachable magazine from Pro Mag.