Author Topic: What you think about this trade?  (Read 9506 times)

Offline MxwllBkr

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rifleman
Re: What you think about this trade?
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2017, 09:30:52 PM »
Clean the cosmo and cut the tag right? I've never hesitated before....... not sure why I am now.........what say you?

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2017, 10:04:05 PM »
Some guys only own what they can shoot, some guys only shoot what's already clearly been shot, and other guys are content to have a safe queen that never, ever sees the range.

Final choice is up to you.  If it were mine, I'd clean it and shoot it both.  I hate having a rifle that I can't handle w/o gloves or a thorough hand washing afterwards.  Of course I say that, but I have a NIB Clayco M8 that's never been shot  :-[, so I guess maybe it depends on the gun...  chuckles1

Offline wvsks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 11:09:35 PM »
One of my Albys came caked in the cosmo..I cleaned it pretty much immediately and hit the range later that day. Wasn't sorry I did. :)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2017, 01:48:38 AM »
I have a couple SKSs still in the grease (Slovenian Protokol and matching M59 long barrel) but most of them I clean up. I find Cosmoline clean up therapeutic  rofl

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2017, 06:37:22 AM »
Clean it up. Take lots of pics. The rest is up to you. I have "shooters" so I don't have to shoot every SKS that I own. Shooting it some won't hurt the value. The Alby is definitely on the limited availability side, so I wouldn't use it as your go to range gun, but it's yours. Do as you like.

Glad you got it!  thumb1

firstchoice

Online Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2017, 12:00:14 PM »
If you clean it up you can inspect it much better. That would be my only reason for cleaning. But like you bought with cosmoline I was confidant that nobody screwed with it so you got that gun as imported. And if you ever wanted to sell it down the road or even keep it for your kids grand kids grand kids, id leave it as is in bubble wrap and a cardboard box. You are very fortunate to even have the choice  :)  Nice going !! Im jealous.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2017, 01:48:14 PM »
My thoughts :o  :-\ if you choose to clean and fire it, whats the odds of a numbered part breaking? It's not like a number matching papered Luger that would suffer a massive hit in value if you threw a round in it and broke a toggle link or damaged another numbered part, trust me, their aren't many parts that aren't numbered.

It ain't no virgin I'm sure, the Albanians already fired it and showed it horrors you could never dream of, it could probably scare you with stories, more so than you scare it by firing it... it's not like a new rifle and besides.. grease is cheap.  chuckles1

But...... if one chooses not to fire it, big whoop, I have a few weapons I have never fired, probably never will. Out of 3 Albanians, I have fired 1.. the other 2, I don't worry with shooting, my jollies get taken out on a mismatchy ugly one. Do I need to shoot the other 2, for what, to check function, with dummy rounds it feeds and ejects, the pin is free and the hammer drops.. by all rights they should work. 

Call me a conflicted collector  rofl  I'm a buy 2.....or more of something, especially if I like it.. one to shoot, the other, or others are usually really nice example, hand picked that gets tucked away. An example...like a papered bring back matching Luger and a mismatchy if I break it, oh well, slap a part in it and fix it, commercial shooter Luger.. chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2017, 01:52:49 PM »
Do you have a fever ? Your making too much sense rofl rofl rofl thumb1 thumb1 My buddy is in your neck of the woods and he ain't coming back to Cali  :-*

Offline MxwllBkr

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2017, 02:10:48 PM »
I think I'm going to clean it. I'm in it for the long haul and don't plan on selling it ever, unless I somehow upgrade....... seems to be almost all matching atleast the stamped parts are.....hard to tell if the gas tube is matching as it must have been a Friday when they scribbled in the number......Also the piston has an 8 instead of a 3 in the serial number sequence, I think it's original just an over sight at the time. The extractor however is not matching. Stock looks pretty decent, definitely has its battle scars but is fairly clean..... Pics when it's all cleaned up in the next few days...........

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2017, 02:35:26 PM »
Do you have a fever ? Your making too much sense rofl rofl rofl thumb1 thumb1 My buddy is in your neck of the woods and he ain't coming back to Cali  :-*

Hey.. it happens.. I can make sense when I want to  chuckles1  Smart fella.. now where is he and why is he invading me and the Hippies hills.. bat1 rofl2

Offline wvsks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2017, 01:29:28 PM »
.hard to tell if the gas tube is matching as it must have been a Friday when they scribbled in the number......

FWIW, both of the gas tubes on my Albanians are like that.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2017, 08:47:08 PM »
Take a Polaroid of it next to your ID...that equals provenance.  Or even a YouTube video in her current state....
If she is a keeper, then there is no reason not to indulge in the wonderful fragrance of Cosmoline.  Save a little so you can relish in the odor without having to buy more guns....I recently cleaned up a lot of 25 cleaning kits for that reason.....yummy.

Clean that beauty and show us her naughty bits once she has had a shower. :)

Geez, any doubts of whether that was a good trade are out the window.  Nice score dude!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2017, 09:23:21 PM »

Clean that beauty and show us her naughty bits once she has had a shower. :)

Better yet.... Show her naughty bits while she is in the shower.... Erotic gun p0rn thumb1