Author Topic: Chinese SKS Sino-Soviet????  (Read 4666 times)

Offline Tvchance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Chinese SKS Sino-Soviet????
« on: October 19, 2017, 06:04:09 PM »
I purchased a Chinese SKS from an older gentleman. The Serial number is K473- It bears a Triangle arsenal mark (I cannot make-out the numbers inside this triangle) and a "Ridgefield" import marking. I'm new to SKS rifles but it is my understanding that this is a Sino-Soviet rifle, made in 1956. Is this correct? Any help or guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated! Tom

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
Re: Chinese SKS Sino-Soviet????
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 06:16:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum Tom!  If you can please post up pics of it as they will help those of us here help identify and decifer its identity.  Just from the info you are providing I am guessing that it could be a Chinese "letter" rifle.  If so, those where usually about the time of 1959.  But as usual, I could be wrong.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 06:26:23 PM »
I purchased a Chinese SKS from an older gentleman. The Serial number is K473- It bears a Triangle arsenal mark (I cannot make-out the numbers inside this triangle) and a "Ridgefield" import marking. I'm new to SKS rifles but it is my understanding that this is a Sino-Soviet rifle, made in 1956. Is this correct? Any help or guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated! Tom

There's no such thing as a "sino-soviet"... that's an old term used from another forum back when it was believed those were Russian cryllic letters, and thus assumed that those rifles must be the first batch of Chinese made with Russian aid.

The reality is that those are Latin letters, which were adopted for serial use by some nations in 1958. Based on our serial data, it is believed that the Chinese letter guns were produced in 1959 and 1960. Guns made in 1958 were using the 3 million place digit, and in 61, the Chinese went back to the million place digit identifier with the 6 mil guns. There are no 4 or 5 mil guns, because those are the two years using the latin letters.

So to answer your question, your rifle should be a 59 or 60, which is still an early blade style chinese rifle.

If I'm wrong, I am sure RM or LC will correct me  :)

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 07:00:36 PM »
hi Tom and welcome. good to have you here.  one of mine has a similar number to yours, I thought it was a Sino-soviet sks letter  too. I'm an oldfart, so what do I know. learned something, thanks PS.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 07:10:31 PM »
So to answer your question, your rifle should be a 59 or 60, which is still an early blade style chinese rifle.

Nope you're good Sal, perfect answer!  thumb1

Letter K guns have the large font, late style stocks. 

Ridgefield is the import stamp of Navy Arms out of Ridgefield, NY.  Does this gun have any type of scope rail or is it a shortened (16.25") paratrooper version?  Any which way, this gun was a pre 1992 import.  Sounds like a nice one, welcome to the boards.  thumb1

Offline Tvchance

• Cadet
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 08:14:31 PM »
It does have a scope rail on the left side of receiver. Here are some photos (Sorry for the poor quality).

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 08:20:54 PM »
PS nails it. 

Looks like a cool rifle.   thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 08:44:40 PM »
Nice rifle Tom. Looks like a Navy Arms import, with a Type 89 rail with non-broken lock tab. It's not a Commercial model, just a standard SKS that was most likely ordered with a rail. Navy Arms would build anything you wanted from their catalog.

Offline Tvchance

• Cadet
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 10:06:00 PM »
Yes, it came with a Navy Arms manual. I get what you're saying about the locking tab on the scope rail not being broken (It does look like a pretty fragile design). The triangular arsenal mark is fairly faint and I can't make-out any numbers or anything inside of this triangle. Can anyone tell me anything about this arsenal mark? Thank you, everyone, for all of your helpful information!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 10:16:24 PM »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Tvchance

• Cadet
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 11:17:46 AM »

There's no such thing as a "sino-soviet"... that's an old term used from another forum back when it was believed those were Russian cryllic letters, and thus assumed that those rifles must be the first batch of Chinese made with Russian aid.

The reality is that those are Latin letters, which were adopted for serial use by some nations in 1958. Based on our serial data, it is believed that the Chinese letter guns were produced in 1959 and 1960. Guns made in 1958 were using the 3 million place digit, and in 61, the Chinese went back to the million place digit identifier with the 6 mil guns. There are no 4 or 5 mil guns, because those are the two years using the latin letters.

Offline Tvchance

• Cadet
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 11:25:57 AM »
My SKS also has the darker, "Arctic Birch" stock but there are no serial numbers or any other kind of markings on it. It also has the sling swivel on the bottom of the stock and not on the side. Was there a time when early SKS stocks were made this way? Thanks again, Guys!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 11:32:18 AM »
Yes, the 1956 'ghost' guns called so because they do dot have an arsenal mark and collectors back in the day didnt really know what to make of them. SKSFiles has since data mined the living crap out of serial numbers etc and we have a fair level of certainty of when they were made and where they fall in the t56 lineage.

The side swivel made its first appearance during the '3m' 1958 /26\ year and was consistent all through the letter guns of 59/60 and beyond.  The very fact your rifle has this stock tells us.... its not original to the rifle.

Offline Tvchance

• Cadet
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 11:46:44 AM »
That's my guess. I'm cool with it. I like that its the older, darker wood. Thanks!