Author Topic: Question about Stock SN Locations and SN Stamp  (Read 1963 times)

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
Question about Stock SN Locations and SN Stamp
« on: July 23, 2017, 12:38:19 AM »
I thought I had a thread on my 1960 Romy, but I guess I was thinking of a "past lifetime", elsewhere. I'll post those up in a new thread soon.

The Stock on my '60 Romy has the double SN stamp like I've seen on other Romy stocks.

The horizontal, small font SN stamp, (with the rifle standing perpendicular to the floor) , and the horizontal, larger font SN stamp that looks to be deeper struck. (At a later date?)  The larger font stamp is about an inch below the small font stamp, down the buttstock, towards the buttplate.

The early, small font stamp is lightly struck and looks to be the original stamp?

Upon a closer look at the small font SN, there are two Upper Case Letters  preceding the 4-digit SN. (GM)  It has been worn and is harder to see. The newer, deeper SN stamp has no preceding 2-digit Letter Code. Just the 4 digit SN. Here are a few pics of what I am speaking of:

Looking at the Romy SN Chart, the stock appears to be a 1959 stock.

Were they stamped the second time just to make it easier to see? Maybe, because the older SN stamps were getting worn and hard to read?

Has anyone noticed that many of the RA series rifles that are mismatched have RB series non-matching replacement parts? I wonder if this was intentional? Maybe they simply dissasembled the RB series rifles to obtain replacement parts? (my Romy has RB series Bolt Carrier, Bolt, and Receiver Cover. Or it could be a complete coincidence? I see we have a good number of RB series rifles on the Romy SN list, so they weren't all disassembled.   dntknw1

Just sitting, nitpicking on my rifles this evening.  GM, what do you think?  All you Romy experts pitch in here.

firstchoice

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 12:48:03 AM by firstchoice »

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Question about Stock SN Locations and SN Stamp
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 01:38:25 AM »
I only ever seen it used on obviously reworked guns, but usually are not accompanied by the original and is a dif stock all together that was matched to the receiver.  If your receiver serial is the same, and both stock stamped numbers ars the same... I would assume you to be correct in that the serial had to be reapplied simply to renew the visibility of the number.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Question about Stock SN Locations and SN Stamp
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 01:17:26 PM »
FC

My '58 is stamped like yours but in a slightly different way. I have the original stamp in the usual spot on the left side with the typical serial prefix. On the right side of the butt stock is the number only in a large font, both serials would be I guess, vertical , like yours. The original serial is somewhat hard to read, but the larger font is readable.

In natural light, when you get it rotated correctly, the original stamp shows up 10x better.. Which kind of supports the "I cant read that stock serial theory"

My particular '58, everything is number matched down to the rear sight, with the exception of one thing, the gas tube. The rifle itself is a a CD prefix, the mismatchy gas tube is an RC prefix.

Now was it factory reworked, or did the fella in the field just pick up the wrong gas tube when cleaning or did a field armour replace the tube? I cant say and don't think it was totally reworked/refurbed like most, just based off a single mis-matched serial stamp, there is no stock finish remaining, it is worn off, it's not sanded or had the finish removed and the blueing is worn. Could it have been a field change, possibly part of a field remark process..... "maybe" the guy who replaced the gas tube did it. Sounds a little more feasible than it hitting the refub shop and coming back out with all but one mismatched part and a new newfangled stock stamp. 

Another one of those cool funky surplus weapon mysteries :)
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem