Author Topic: Need a new SKS  (Read 6995 times)

Offline Boris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Need a new SKS
« on: June 06, 2017, 09:35:54 PM »
I have had  at least a dozen SKS rifles but I have them sold over the years. What would you purchase for a SKS at this time? All I want is one is reliable. I would like one that is good wood and reasonal bluing. $400 range.

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
Re: Need a new SKS
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 09:06:03 AM »
try www.slickguns.com to start your search.  :)
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 11:12:46 AM »
Locally: check your gun shops, pawn shops, and gun shows. Online: Gun Broker, Armslist, etc. and 1-3 retailers. For the $400 +/- $50 range you're looking at Chinese, Yugoslavian M59/66s or maybe an occasional M59, the occasional Romanian refurb, and if you're lucky, you may run into the occasional refurbished Russian at the upper half of that range.

If you have an FFL-03 you can get the Yugo or Chinese at SOG, as the SKSs they have are C&R eligible, otherwise you'll have to get your FFL-01 or equivalent to order one for you:
http://www.southernohiogun.com/longguns/sks-rifles

Classic Firearms or J&G Sales may still have some but I haven't looked lately.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 11:29:42 AM »
Right now J&G have none in stock, the ones at SOG have "Stocks are beat up with large repairable cracks.............", and unfortunately right now most of them on the broker have high starting bid prices or high buy now prices.  I had a very nice condition (wood and metal wise) K Sports one listed on here for sale a while back.  It got sold locally though for $350.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 09:35:04 AM »
Boris, I sent you a message.   ;)

Offline Boris

• Cadet
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 06:54:51 PM »
Got it.
Thanks Bruce

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 07:54:44 PM »
Boris,  where do you live?

Boris B.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 10:47:19 PM »

Boris B.

Its ok to talk to yourself...  Just don't start answering back.   rofl2

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline MxwllBkr

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 11:39:19 PM »

Boris B.

lol......  chuckles1 rofl

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 12:05:28 AM »

Boris B.

Ehhh...answering yourself is fine, totally acceptable thumb1

Now....when he starts to arguing and cursing with himself, screaming back at the voices, ending up with body slamming himself on the floor while strangling his teddy bear, there may be some kind of internal issues, like a loose connection somewhere...  :o

hey....it happens....I have to take medication for such events.. senil1 :-[  rofl2 chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 04:38:13 AM »
Har har.

I can talk to myself all I want.  My parole officer and my therapist agree that it's ok as long as I don't act out publicly.

Offline Boris

• Cadet
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 08:00:51 AM »
Must be my evil twin. Fat finger.

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 11:52:55 AM »
In all seriousness, though ...I've got a couple of ALL matching 6 digit ghosts (187k and 210k range) that I've been considering letting one go to make room in the safe and maybe fund new pistols  for my mouse gun or Saturday Night Special collection.

Both ghosts are fully functional. One has a slight negative sear-to-hammer engagement and the other is neutral. I forget which is which.

PA residence would be ideal, but I'm not averse to figuring out how to ship a C&R gun. $365 (same price i paid) face to face if yer a PA CCW. Otherwise add ffl fees and any insured shipping costs.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 01:56:54 PM »
PA residence would be ideal, but I'm not averse to figuring out how to ship a C&R gun. $365 (same price i paid) face to face if yer a PA CCW. Otherwise add ffl fees and any insured shipping costs.

Now, You may be able to ship a firearm "in" state with no FFL, it's not crossing state lines, same thing as buying face-to-face in state, it's better and easier to do if you know the person on the other end, at the very least, require a copy of the drivers license and/or a bill of sale from the purchaser.. I can legally do this in Virginia, you may want to check state laws.

Shipping a C&R is by no means difficult.. Couple of pointers..
It has to ship to the name and address on the FFL... NO if's and's or but's...NO exceptions!!
Do not use a UPS Store, they can be stupid and not know their own policy and shipping procedures..
Use a UPS hub, Fed Ex hub or USPS. In a plain unmarked package, use plenty of padding and shipping tape. The dock gorillas do not give a flip about whats in your precious little box, their goal is pack as much freight in a trailer as possible legally weight wise..high case count per load = money saved.
Make sure you have the receiving persons signed FFL and yours handy just in case, example: my local Postal Office asks to see both, my UPS hub depends on who mans the counter, it's hit or miss.. I'm not sure if this is policy..but oh well, keeps them happy and quiet....
With USPS...go the fastest method, Priority Mail or faster, 2nd day.. good practice with UPS and FedEx.. the less time it spends in circulation, the better.
Regardless of shipper always get a tracking number, signature verification and extra insurance(save every receipt and stay in contact with the seller/buyer till the transaction is completed), it costs extra and it sucks, but a broken in two or heaven forbid, a missing rifle/handgun really does.....SUCK x10, police and ATF will be involved on a missing weapon. Without sig. verification, they will just chuck it up on the porch, stoop, wherever.. thats bad juju if the person receiving it is not home for several hours..i.e. theft, weather. Require the shipper to physically put the package in their hands and sign for it.
Depending on shipper, handguns will require different treatment, like next day shipping with USPS(Im pretty sure this just changed recently), also absolutely"NO" ORMD or Hazmat items, or to us gun collectors, "ammo/powder/primers" through the USPS(felony), UPS and Fed Ex are licensed for Hazmat and box must be labled according to contents.
Don't ship or at least wait to ship after peak periods. Holidays, Christmas is the absolute worst time to ship a big expensive fragile rifle. Those dock gorillas really get really antsy, especially with companies like Amazon, the Walmart, the Ebay, etc. with their deliver before a certain day guarantees and promises.. I've seen forklifts run backwards to compress a load to get the trailer door down.

And it's best to remove the bolt..or with a SKS.. pull the carrier and the bolt, wrap it up separately and put it in the same box. Ever seen a bolt handle sticking and poking out the shipping box.. :))

It's best to know or at least review the shipper of your choice policies/proceedures before hand.. They can change at a moments notice.

Clear as mud, sure I missed something in these highlights...but, it is not hard to do thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2017, 06:26:44 AM »

Boris B.

lol......  chuckles1 rofl

What are the voices saying. That's the critical part. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Boris

• Cadet
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2017, 08:50:11 PM »
Must be many people on this board that watched Boris and Natasha show on Bullwinkle  and Rocky show. Many Bullwinkles. Good old cartoon.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2017, 09:21:45 PM »
Naw, boris and natasha were boring and so was bullwinkle.  I preferred Batman and The Three Stoogies!   rofl2

Offline Boris

• Cadet
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2017, 09:23:23 PM »
I am happy for you.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2017, 09:46:46 PM »
Does Dans still have M59s?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2017, 09:57:18 PM »
Does Dans still have M59s?

None showing on his site.