Author Topic: Hello from VA  (Read 6183 times)

Offline sss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Hello from VA
« on: January 26, 2017, 06:54:14 PM »
Hi all. Great forum. Lots of good info.  Inherited my SKS a while ago but just got around to checking it out. Still has good bit of cosmoline in it so going to take some cleaning.  Whoever owned it before my Dad tried to mod it to use AK mags.  Had some kind of  plastic block in front section of mag well but it appears the little plastic tab that engages the front of the AK mag was broke off. Fortunately it came with the original 10 round so that's back in now. Problem was he installed an extended latch intended for the AK mag and it won't release the bottom of the original mag to dump the cartridges.  Going to have to find a replacement or grind that one down.  All appearances is this is a late model SKS.  Can't find any arsenal stamp anywhere.  Has a SAMCO import stamp under the barrel and someone pencil engraved norinco on the barrel under the upper hand guard. Serial number doesn't fall into any of the known ranges here on this board so I'm stumped on its age. Trigger guard, receiver cover, bolt and stock all match stamped 164xx and receiver just stamped 111.64xx. Any ideas guys?  Like I said, great board, lots of info.  Looking forward to hearing from you.

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
Re: Hello from VA
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 07:05:48 PM »
hi neighbor (Culpeper VA) and welcome. good to have you here.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 07:08:24 PM »
Greetings from NM.  Sounds like an interesting carbine you've got there.  Photo will be needed to narrow things down any more than you're already determined I think.  With the stock stamped as it is it really sounds like a late build gun.  Was the S/N on the receiver stamped or etched/engraved?

Glad to have you, welcome aboard!  thumb1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 07:11:04 PM »
Maybe a lade build scrubbed gun?... hard to say without pics of the receiver markings. 

Welcome to the Files...   thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 07:18:49 PM »
Va huh..

Hi, from Va. thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline sss

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 07:32:15 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'll try and put some pics up.  I suppose you have to use photo bucket  or some such.  What exactly is a "scrubbed" gun?  Serial numbers are stamped on this one.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 10:34:54 PM »
Old S/N removed and new one applied when the gun goes through a full refurb/rebuild.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 10:43:10 PM »
Old S/N removed and new one applied when the gun goes through a full refurb/rebuild.

= loss of arsenal stamp. Commonly having a low serial number and confused with an early gun when not.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline sss

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 11:18:33 PM »
Guys, here are some pics. Thanks for the assist.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 11:38:13 PM »
Very nice!  thumb1

Short lug barrel puts it originally made post ~1966. I think the . after the 111 is a pit in the metal and not intended to be a .

The numeral style of the receiver is very new, the 1s and 4 looked quite different on original type 56s from that era.

Does she shoot well?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 11:43:51 PM »
Bingo...  was scrubbed.

Looks like a good one though.    thumb1

Offline sss

• Newber
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 03:05:38 PM »
Thanks guys! Agreed on the "decimal" in the serial number. Believe it's a pit too but was very prominent and perfectly placed. Haven't had chance to shoot it yet.  Looking forward to it. Barrel is nice and bright inside. No pitting whatsoever. I need to give it a good cleaning and make sure no cosmoline in the firing pin channel first!   Where's best source for some stripper clips?  Haven't checked CTD yet.  I think it's going to be a fun little shooter.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 04:01:35 PM »
Find some Yugo M67 ammo with strippers, http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/200-round-pack-762x39-m67-non-magnetic-copper-fmj-brass-case-corrosive-yugo-surplus-           

or Czech BXN strippers off say...fleabay..  I mean who wouldn’t like some Czech strippers. chuckles1

Thats two of the best strippers I've found. thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline sss

• Newber
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 04:33:53 PM »
Thanks Greasemonkey!  I've heard those Czech strippers are some of the best  rofl  thumb1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 06:27:43 PM »
Yup, strippers from the former Yugoslavia...buy a crate...you'll need it to feed your other SKSs  :)

http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/1120-round-crate-762x39-m67-non-magnetic-copper-fmj-brass-case-corrosive-yugo-surplu

What's that you say?  You only have 1 SKS....bwa-ha-ha-ha!  Not for long  chuckles1

Oh, and welcome from WA...kinda like VA with an extra V attached up front  ???