Author Topic: East German - pic heavy  (Read 5706 times)

Offline applegoomp

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
East German - pic heavy
« on: August 19, 2016, 08:48:33 PM »
After more than a year of negotiations, I finally secured an EG SKS.  I thought I would send it up for review. It's on the known list so it's been seen before.  Enjoy and comment on it good and bad!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 10:07:48 AM by applegoomp »

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
Re: East German - pic heavy
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 08:52:52 PM »
You need to fix your links, but I was able to open them in a new window. Nice score. You even have a proper sling on there too...that's a nice touch :)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 09:25:17 PM »
Wow....  A nice one!

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 09:29:11 PM »
Agreed!  Very nice. This is the first I've seen of this one beyond a single receiver S/N photo from sksnut. Stock looks great, how's the finish on it?  All parts matching?  Any capture papers?  What about any areas of damage or pitting?   thumb1

Offline applegoomp

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 10:39:57 PM »
This example is all matching.   Bluing is ~90% save the magazine which is more like 60%.  The stock is not original but the original was included (picture with serial).  No pitting or blemishes.    Once I tear it down I'll post any proofs or additional markings I find.

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 12:28:35 AM »
Whoo-hoo......Beautiful.... thumb1 Is the bayo upside down?

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 04:41:03 AM »
Wow  :o 8) that is a beauty!  thumb1 Congratulations!

...but you said pic heavy...lets see more...internals etc.  :)

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 12:43:21 AM »
That is a real beauty and one to be proud of, congratulations!  thumb1

Offline applegoomp

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
Re: East German - more pictures added to OP
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 10:16:25 AM »
I added 8 additional pictures of internal and barrel markings at the end of the original post.  I don't believe the bayonet is installed upside down but let me know if someone does.  There is an S on the left side of the receiver and K40 stamp on the barrel. There is a 1560 above a backwards C on the right side of barrel.  The bolt and underside of gas tube is EP'd with the correct serial.   There are no capture papers or story with the rifle.  Just obtained out of a collection where is sat quietly for the last 20 years.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 10:38:26 AM »
Wow....just Wow man. That puppy is gorgeous  thumb1 Having an EG by itself is awesome but also such a fine specimen...Congrats. Thanks for the extra pics, We can be a lil OCD, ya'know in a good way  rofl ( This is the closest a lot of us will get to a EG so...every pic of an EG is appreciated  thumb1)

Padams has 1 heckuva eye, The more I look, it does seem if the bayo may be upside down. Doesn't really matter and likely has been that way a very long time. Does the bayo screw have staked marks?
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 11:00:34 AM »
The bayo is upside down, the taper edge should face the stock when folded. More than likely, the original bayo was taken off overseas, as my understanding is it was common for them to be removed and turned into knives by the Vietnamese. The bayo screw is not original either, so the bayo was probably added over here. My East German was the same way....it was brought back with an AK mini spike bayo on it, and I put a proper blade on it. 

Offline applegoomp

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 11:09:54 AM »
The bayo is upside down, the taper edge should face the stock when folded. More than likely, the original bayo was taken off overseas, as my understanding is it was common for them to be removed and turned into knives by the Vietnamese. The bayo screw is not original either, so the bayo was probably added over here. My East German was the same way....it was brought back with an AK mini spike bayo on it, and I put a proper blade on it.

Thanks.  I'll look for the original screw type and fit it proper.