Author Topic: AK Barrel Threading  (Read 10324 times)

Offline Power Surge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
AK Barrel Threading
« on: March 26, 2016, 06:33:21 PM »
For anyone with an unthreaded AK47, I am offering a barrel threading service.

For an unthreaded exposed muzzle AK, the service is $50.

For a shrouded muzzle AK (like a Saiga), the service to cut the shroud down and thread is $75.

This is for standard AK  LH 14x1.0 threads. I can install your compensator for no charge if you send it with the gun.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: AK Barrel Threading
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 07:41:35 PM »
What keeps it from turning (indexed) if these carbines dont have the spring detent?   Locking nut?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Power Surge

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 07:56:38 PM »
What keeps it from turning (indexed) if these carbines dont have the spring detent?   Locking nut?

I prefer to thread it matched to the compensator used so that it's indexed properly when tightened. But a lock ring or crush washer can be used too. I just don't like using them if possible because it doesn't look good on a cut down Saiga and it adds to how far the compensator sticks out.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 11:18:35 PM »
I see. 

Hey, aren't the slant brakes supposed to direct the muzzle down and to the left?... The reason for the off center detent notch...

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Power Surge

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 03:01:45 PM »
I see. 

Hey, aren't the slant brakes supposed to direct the muzzle down and to the left?... The reason for the off center detent notch...

Yes, but that is for a right handed shooter. The guy who owns the rifle in the pic above is left handed. He wanted his slant straight up. Also, the compesator in the pic above has right hand and left hand notches, which is why you see the one in the pic where it is.

Offline shawker71

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
  • WECSOG Graduate
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 03:18:56 PM »
Have you tried rethreading a MAK90 that has the threads taken down? I have wondered if is possible to have mine rethreaded. What does the OD need to be to thread it?

Offline Power Surge

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 03:23:51 PM »
Have you tried rethreading a MAK90 that has the threads taken down? I have wondered if is possible to have mine rethreaded. What does the OD need to be to thread it?

If it's already been threaded to standard AK size (14mmx1.0LH), and the threads have been removed, you wouldn't be able to go with that same size again. However, we could still thread it to a smaller size, like 1/2-28 used on ARs.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 07:16:29 PM »
Good stuff PS, I wondered why some brakes had 2 indent notches. Good to know a barrel could be threaded down to a smaller size if need be. Does threading it again ( for an AR brake) take to much metal off or not enough to make a difference on a 7.62 barrel?
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Power Surge

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 09:11:15 PM »
Good stuff PS, I wondered why some brakes had 2 indent notches. Good to know a barrel could be threaded down to a smaller size if need be. Does threading it again ( for an AR brake) take to much metal off or not enough to make a difference on a 7.62 barrel?

There's still plenty left even at 1/2-28. Here's the barrel on my SKS bullpup project, machined to 1/2-28 on the lathe...

Offline shawker71

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
  • WECSOG Graduate
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 09:36:12 PM »
Another question on doing a MAK90 in the 1/2x28, would the FSB has to be pressed off in order to thread it properly or can you do it with it on? Would this be an extra charge? Just questions I am asking because CNC Warrior makes a slant brake in 1/2x28 and I could at least give the appearance of being more AKMish.

SHawker

Offline Power Surge

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 10:09:51 PM »
Another question on doing a MAK90 in the 1/2x28, would the FSB has to be pressed off in order to thread it properly or can you do it with it on? Would this be an extra charge? Just questions I am asking because CNC Warrior makes a slant brake in 1/2x28 and I could at least give the appearance of being more AKMish.

SHawker

Can you post me a pic of the FSB area?

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 10:48:33 PM »
Right...  I was just wondering why the one you pictured was square with the fsp.

Offline Power Surge

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 11:15:00 PM »
Right...  I was just wondering why the one you pictured was square with the fsp.

He wanted it straight up because he's a left handed shooter and was also used to how the Saiga shoots.

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 10:39:45 AM »
I might have to send you my mak 90 to have it done. I'll check locally and see the pricing. I know it'll cost nearly 30.00 to ship it via FedEx or ups.

I used a crush washer on my sks sporter without the detent to put an ak brake on it after having the barrel threaded 14x1 lh