Author Topic: I have run out of room to zero my SKS  (Read 12179 times)

Offline wjkrostek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
I have run out of room to zero my SKS
« on: December 28, 2015, 09:53:54 AM »
I ran out of room to move the front sight to the right.  I need to get another inch or two left at 25 meters to get her to zero.  What will I have to do to get that extra inch or two left.  I see the pins holding the sight but I don't think I can rotate the sight and get the pins back in and I don't know it that would do it anyway.  Some of you all must of ran into this problem before.  Any Ideas?  How about if I file the rear sight off to the left. Will that help move the zero to the right?

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
Re: I have run out of room to zero my SKS
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 10:10:16 AM »
I ran out of room to move the front sight to the right.  I need to get another inch or two left at 25 meters to get her to zero.  What will I have to do to get that extra inch or two left.  I see the pins holding the sight but I don't think I can rotate the sight and get the pins back in and I don't know it that would do it anyway.  Some of you all must of ran into this problem before.  Any Ideas?  How about if I file the rear sight off to the left. Will that help move the zero to the right?

If you've had to move your front sight all the way to one side, and still aren't on target, ONLY at 25 meters, then something is not right with the gun.

Either the barrel is bent, the front sight block is not installed properly, or the rear sight leaf is somehow off.

It would help to see pics of the rifle, and know what kind of SKS you have. On some of the commercial chinese variants, the front sight block is modified or moved back (16" barrel), and I have seen them installed poorly.

Offline wjkrostek

• Newber
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 10:39:08 AM »
I'm not good at computer stuff.  I don't know how to add a picture

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 10:49:08 AM »
Here is a link on how to post photo's.

http://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=87.0

I had one that did that, except the opposite direction, wound up being a bent barrel. Sent it off to Murray's to have it straightened and it shoots very well now.
I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.

Offline wjkrostek

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 11:35:28 AM »
I'm not smart enough, I tried and got lost.  I do have some pictures and if you send me your email I think I can attach them to and email and send them to you that way.  I'll try again later.  Maybe my grand daughter can help me though it when I see her next week.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 11:43:10 AM »
You can send them to me and I'll post them up for you: running-man @ SKS-files.com

Hopefully it's something easy.  Needing another inch or two at 25 meters while the front sight is already at full travel is a bad omen though.  We'll work through it!

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 06:04:05 PM »
Not sure we're going to be able to tell much based on these images.  Barrel could easily be bent, or not.  Can't really tell from these angles.  Probably will need a view looking down your sights and maybe a good top view with the gas tube removed off to have a chance of seeing something there.  I'm not seeing any major red flags here though (was this photo taken before you slid the front sight all the way over?  What sight adjustment tool are you using?).

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 06:09:58 PM »
Also, not sure why your rear sight is set so high, but for less than 100 yards (meters), set your rear sight slide on "1".

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 06:32:32 PM »
Maybe the rsb, fsb or both is canted?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline wjkrostek

• Newber
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 08:44:21 PM »
Also, not sure why your rear sight is set so high, but for less than 100 yards (meters), set your rear sight slide on "1".

the sights are so high because at 25 meters it was shooting 2.5 inches low so I moved it up to 300 so see what happens and it went to 2 inches high at 25 meters.  both groups where about an inch right. So I figured Id save my ammo and see if I can fix the biggest problem first. thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 01:32:16 AM by wjkrostek »

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 10:32:25 PM »
Additional photos wj emailed me. I see a RSB not in line with the FSB. Hard to say which is off though.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 10:36:03 PM »
Hard to tell, but looks ok to me. The sight post adjustment is off, but the hood looks lined up with the RSB to me.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 11:58:24 PM »
My next move would be to run a string from the front post to the center of the vee of the rear sight ladder. Should make it more apparent whether something is grossly off.  I still think the FSB and RSB are canted from each other. Impossible to tell w/o a straight on view or a string to give a good ground reference though.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 05:15:44 AM »
Looking at the rear of the rsb where it mates with the receiver... Looks like its straight.  Cant tell if the fsb is canted though.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 09:40:19 AM »
When I was trying to troubleshoot my issue like this. Ben Murray asked me if I had a case that was boxer primed(one small hole instead of 2) with no primer. If I did I could place it in the chamber and look thru the small hole into the bore. The circles I saw in the bore should be concentric. If they were not then that is where I had an issue. Turns out on mine it was close to the gas port, the barrel was bent to the left a bit and had to be straightend.  That may help

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 10:00:15 AM »
Good idea and suggestion!

Offline wjkrostek

• Newber
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 12:04:13 PM »
When I was trying to troubleshoot my issue like this. Ben Murray asked me if I had a case that was boxer primed(one small hole instead of 2) with no primer. If I did I could place it in the chamber and look thru the small hole into the bore. The circles I saw in the bore should be concentric. If they were not then that is where I had an issue. Turns out on mine it was close to the gas port, the barrel was bent to the left a bit and had to be straightend.  That may help
Mine will only group 2 inches at 25 meters but I'm an old man with glasses shooting over my PU truck so a lot of that is me.  but all the groups are right so I need to move it left.  Was yours shooting tight groups before you got it fixed?  No one has commented on filing the rear sights to the left or rotating the front sight.  I thank all of you for your time.

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 12:15:10 PM »
Yes.. mine was shooting a tight group, however I ran out of adjustment just as you did.  Except to the left(if I remember correctly, the whole thread of what I did and looked at is located here: http://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=340.0

If you read thru that it takes you thru what I did, and my final resolution.

agrace

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 01:39:22 PM »
Mine will only group 2 inches at 25 meters but I'm an old man with glasses shooting over my PU truck so a lot of that is me.  but all the groups are right so I need to move it left.  Was yours shooting tight groups before you got it fixed?  No one has commented on filing the rear sights to the left or rotating the front sight.  I thank all of you for your time.

Your post is currently all the way left...  This will aim the bore to the right.  Sure you went the right way? 

Offline wjkrostek

• Newber
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 05:35:26 PM »
I look at it from behind the rife not  the front.  From behind they are all the way right so to get the hole to move left you move the front sight right or the back left. (if you could) Am I thinking wrong?  I'm sure I went the way that was moving the bullet until I ran out of room.  I hope I was thinking wrong.  I don't think so.  Let me know.  What kind of group can one expect at 25 meters  from your experience.