Author Topic: SKS shootout: Show off your SKS targets, win bragging rights and 6 million bucks  (Read 13252 times)

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
I dusted off the old Simonov, amazed to find I still owned one, and took her for a spin. Let's have a little fun with a SKS shootout. Let's see your targets.

My totally breakable rules:
5 shot groups, 100 yards, iron sights

My ammo:
Golden Tiger

The gun:
'54 Izhevsk

The targets:
6.5" & 4.3"

-------------------------------

Can we do a Mosin shootout too? M91 Westinghouse, 3 inches

Beat the heathen and win SKSfiles bragging rights. Bring it  pirate1
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Soooo...  you wanna like measure the group please.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Sharp-Shooter
I gotta do everything round here? Can I pour you some more Chateauneuf du Pape or get some more potato scallops for you too?
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."

-LooseCannon

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
laff...  guess we measuring in dollar bill lengths?   :-\

thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
Nevermind...  I see your measurements now.    rofl2

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
MOD...........Minute Of Dollar
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
Took out the Chinese 6 digi because I have clover-leafed with it before.

I painted one side of the paper plate black and tested both contrasts. The first target below was shot at the black side with white paper behind it. I wrote the measurement on the white side... duh   Ammo was wolf black box.

3.25"

Then I did two groups at the white side with just the wooden back-board for centrist.  Since my paper plates are oval, I also tried rotating the plate 99 degrees between these two groups.  I messed up circling the large group and fixed it..  wish I would have changed out plates. 

2.50"

The rifle..

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 06:31:25 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Whoa....Chinet huh? Oval even....

You don't mess around at all do ya?
 :P

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
Leftover plates from Turkey day.   :P

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
If only I could find 100 yards that isn't obstructed by a tree, a mountain or the general public that doesn't include public roads, football stadiums or runways....I would love to participate.  Montana is essentially private property anywhere that much space occurs...at least accessible, flatish space...  I need a range membership, but as a Montanan...you kind of feel a little silly using one, when there are so many road signs.

I have a lot of paper plates....no Chinet though. I printed up some jackelope targets for the other competition....but had far too much fun watching my vegetarian daughter lay them all to waste with the 22.  She is gonna be a great small game hunter come SHTF. :)

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
Good shooting guys...I couldn't shoot today, I had to do a project for Mary and our daughter. I'll see how much damage I can do to a target tomorrow. Don't know if I can compete with Loose}{Cannon's plates though!

Blicero did you zoom in on those target photos of Cannons to see if there were any powder burns around the holes?!  ;)  rofl2

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
Dang, those are some big targets, lol. I've been shooting at 8" rounds with 2" centers at 100, and they are hard to see! Maybe I need to go a little larger....my eyes aren't helping me at the range lately, lol.

I'll get back on the 100 next time out and see if I can make you guys proud! Best I've done at 100 open sights was 4" groups of 10 rounds. But which SKS to use now???

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Sharp-Shooter
I usually shoot the cmp targets with the 6" black bull. A new Arisaka that couldn't hit a fridge from inside the kitchen made me buy those gigantic targets and stick them on an even more gigantic piece of cardboard so I could figure out what it's doing.
-Ramcke

-Ty O

-LooseCannon

Offline Shotz90s

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Six million bucks?  75 yards offhand.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
My five round group:

53 Izhesvk (?)

Wolf 123 gr FMJ black box

Golden Tiger 124 gr FMJ BT

6" bullseye

Recently running-man sent me some samples of GT, BB and M67 to try (Thanks again RM!) but my carbine did not like the Golden Tiger at all. Three of the rounds almost took out one of my target legs!

Ten rounds Golden Tiger @ 100 yards.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Three of the rounds almost took out one of my target legs!

Doh!!!!  That boat tail round just doesn't like your barrel now does it Danny!  Sorry about the target frame damage, you may need to beef that sucker up with a 4x4 after all is said and done  doh1 silly1

Darn fine shooting with the Wolf though, nice little 3 1/2" group there.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
Darn fine shooting with the Wolf though, nice little 3 1/2" group there.

Thank you running-man.

It's common knowledge that the same ammo is digested differently from gun to gun but this surprised me. I'm going to try the GT again when the temperature comes down a bit!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Nice shooting Dannyboy!  thumb1

...and LC, that 2.5" (nearly 1 MOA) group looks awfully good  :o

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Dang it's hard for my old eyes to see that big 8" ring at 100 yds  :))

'51 Tula, Golden Tiger.  I was using a "pumpkin on post" sight picture so this rifle has potential in the right hands!

5.25"

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
Thanks Phosphorus...that's a beautiful carbine and good shootin'! I always use the 6 o'clock hold.