Author Topic: Chinese SKS Jungle Stock  (Read 7000 times)

Offline sagesbrush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Chinese SKS Jungle Stock
« on: January 03, 2018, 01:24:32 PM »
I'm looking at a Chinese SKS China Sports import at a pawn shop. It appears it was imported with a jungle stock and matching jungle/ fiberglass hand guard.  SKS is mint. Looks unfired. Do these have any additional collector value??
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:29:20 PM by sagesbrush »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Chinese SKS Jungle Stock
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 02:09:19 PM »
Jungle stocks typically lower the collector value of a Type 56 as they typically indicate bubba got ahold of the firearm.  Very unusual to see them already on imported guns, but they are out there.  Still this would indicate a pretty heavy refurb if the stock had to be replaced which does the value no good. 

W/o seeing the firearm in question, that's about all I can say.  It may be a CSI commercial version like an CSI imported SKS 63 or SKS NR which would give it a premium, but since those are marked on the receiver (and you didn't mention it) I'm guessing that's not what you saw.

Your standard heavy furb/bubba Type 56 will run $300 to $400 depending on condition.

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 04:43:46 PM »
Please forgive that this slightly off topic but: Is there any info on the time the Jungle Stock was developed and put into use. I ask as I saw a rifle at a local gun show with a Jungle Stock channeled for the blade type bayonet. The serial number was in the 1.3 mil range and if I remember correctly it was /106\ factory. Seller wanted $600 and advertised it as "extremely rare". It did not have a bayonet or the anchor bolt. It did have a green cloth sling that was green enough to look like a reproduction not original. The sling was attached to the swivels with the steel coil springs. There was an Importers stamping but others were look seriously at it so I didn't have much chance to really inspect the rifle. Receiver, bolt, and mag were numbers matching but top cover and trigger group were lightly struck so time and poor light made it impossible to read those numbers. Being others were showing interest and I didn't have funds to even make a reasonable offer I hung back so as not to influence seller to drive price into a biding war. Is it possible for such a stock to legitimately  be on a SKS with those numbers ? 

Charlie

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 05:21:00 PM »
From my experience, /106\ are almost exclusively Navy Arms imports.  They are typically in rough shape often with force matched parts.  The stock is very likely a stateside replacement.  We don't have definitive proof all phenolic stocks were not used on carbines straight out of the factory (indeed there are a small smattering of bakelite/phenolic stocks with matching serial numbers on them)  but we do have proof that these stocks were issued as separate items apart from the carbines they fit on.  This is a famous photo of a crate of phenolic stocks as-issued in the grease from a user on gunboards (can't remember who the user was, I'll update this post if someone chimes in with the owner of this photo):

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 06:00:36 PM »
And,  thats why guys get a rifle with one of these stocks on it and think since the stock itself is loaded with cosmo that it must be ariginal to the gun.   No, the stocks themselves came loaded in cosmo. 

I 'think' that pic is of P50s box of stocks..... could be wrong.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 06:08:09 PM »
And I'm pretty sure  :o the stock is a blade cut....but a /106\ should have been a spike bayonet rifle when it left China.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 09:24:51 PM »
Thanks for the answers, I kinda felt the seller put the stock on as a way to add mystery and justify his $600 price. This was on the first day of the show and at 17:00 when the show was closing the rifle was still on the table. I didn't go back the next day so it might still be lurking out there. But good info from you guys.

Charlie

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 09:29:24 PM »
Another Gun show today and this seller was there with the same rifle. Price is now @ $700. No bayonet or cleaning rod, it is a /106\ and the importer was IC Knoxville, TN. All ser. numbers visible without disassembly are matching. Seller would not let me take pictures of the rifle so I can't give a full ser. # but it is in the 1.3 mill. range. Seller's reply when I asked about the missing part and price increase was "that is how I got it from the wholesaler and fell I was low on the price last week". I just can't see going that high on a put together. Besides I'm deep in the restoration of my Romanian.

Charlie

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 10:00:00 PM »
That seller is crazy. Sad thing is, it will sell eventually.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 10:03:41 PM »
Some one, maybe it was Poe has a quote that applies to alot of gunshows  :)
"Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear"
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 07:42:57 AM »
Some one, maybe it was Poe has a quote that applies to alot of gunshows  :)
"Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear"

rofl Excellent! Yes, if you ever feel like there’s a shortage of BS in your life, drop by the gun show to fill up your tank.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 09:37:21 PM »
Keep in mind that what people know, they think is correct, until someone corrects them. I can't really blame people selling guns as something they aren't, if they don't know any better. Especially since there is SOOO much incorrect information about the SKS out there. Keep in mind, it's really only been about 5 years since we've really started figuring the truth out about these rifles. Before that, you've got DECADES of guessing and misinformation.

When looking at SKSs for sale, these are the most common misrepresentations that I personally see:

"rare jungle stock"
"rare 20 round magazine"
"rare paratrooper model", or the fact that a para'd SKS has any more value than and non-altered SKS.
"rare SKS-M or Sporter" (they were the MOST common commercial model)
"unissued, never fired" because it's in a box and has cosmoline in it.

But like anything for sale, it's buyer beware. If you don't do your homework, then you can't complain if you overpay for something. It's just a shame that there are nice guns for sale out there that some of us won't buy because the asking price is ridiculous.