Author Topic: When does a firearm become 50 years old as far as BATF is concerned?  (Read 3117 times)

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
For example, does a 1967 dated gun become 50 years old on January 1, 2017? Or on January, 1 2018?

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: When does a firearm become 50 years old as far as BATF is concerned?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 07:09:29 PM »
I saw the thread on gunboards where this came up.  My understanding is C&R would occur 50 years to the day the firearm was manufactured (not shipped, see http://sks-files.com/Pictures/Chinese/FAQ/2007-664_1.jpg).  Since we don't know this level of detail (we are doing well to even know the year!) then it's prudent to err on the side of caution and wait until Jan 1, 2018 came in your example.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 11:46:53 PM »
My opinion, 13 million series Type 56s are eligible tomorrow.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 05:00:11 PM »
In my opinion the Type56's  (not the 59/66) should have been granted special curio status exempting them from the 50 year regulation.

But what's the BATF postition on the matter?

For example:

The 7mil/7thyear guns (erroneously attributed to 1963) didn't start selling in the US until 1stQ 2014. But is that because the importers were being cautious, or did the BATF restrict sale before Jan 1, 2014?

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 10:15:03 AM »
Unless you have a letter of inquiry into them with a clear response back (good luck with the clear part!), BATF's position is nebulous and fluid depending on what they are trying to accomplish (and with that who is in charge) any given year. 

I suspect Chinese type 56's will never make it to the C&R list.  There is too much of a general image of them being a gangbanger weapon of choice for them to be politically palatable.  I honestly don't think a many classes of firearms will ever be added wholesale to the list again, just individual S/N'd examples of old lever guns and whatnot like we've seen in the 2008 to 2014 'update'. 

I've not been able to get much info from IO on the imports (they imported the 7 mils exclusively).