Author Topic: 1858 Remington  (Read 6380 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
1858 Remington
« on: May 29, 2017, 12:27:38 PM »
I admit... buying a Desert Eagle and then reverting to this kind of 'ol school technology is a shock to ones system.. chuckles1   Taylors & Co had an open house 2 weeks ago...in which I had to go, and I admit, I have a weakness for a case hardened finish, brass and black powder, this .44 hit all 3 categories.. It does have a quick swap cylinder as well and can take a conversion cylinder(which I think I will skip), which is neat. If you had a pre loaded cylinder, it wouldn't take but a few seconds to swap it out, kinda like a prehistoric magazine swap. One thing I noticed with this one, which is a single action, it's the quality of the trigger setup, WOW, no slop, no creep, it's 100 times better than some modern production pieces I have tried. I would dear to say 3 to 3 and a half pound pull. 

I did spy a Colt Walker while there...almost did it, to go with the Dragoon I have. The Colt Walker is pretty much.....like the Desert Eagle of the black powder world, it weighs in at around 4lbs 8oz and is just under 16 inches long. Maybe next time.. :)

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
Re: 1858 Remington
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 12:34:56 PM »
Nice!   thumb1
Do you do much black powder shooting?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 12:54:19 PM »
I don't get to shoot them as much as I would like, it was one of those things.. living near where many Civil War battles took place and seeing many re-enactments kind of got my curiosity up, and I decided to try one, a .36 Navy was my first, and I loved it. It's a very interesting side to the hobby and it seems alot of people under estimate the accuracy and power of a black powder handgun.

The collection slowly grows... :)

Top is the .44 Colt Dragoon, .36 Navy and a long barrel .44 with adjustable rear sight, which is more accurate than I

This one I got a 45LC conversion for.. I didn't care to much for it after using it. And again...with the brass and case hardened frame :)

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 01:13:23 PM »
Again very nice!  In the last photo at the bottom of the pic, is that disc an adapter for causing the hammer to transfer the strike to the primers of the long colt cartridges?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 05:14:35 PM »
I like that case-hardened finish  thumb1

A nice Damascus steel shotgun would look good next to it.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 06:11:10 PM »
Again very nice!  In the last photo at the bottom of the pic, is that disc an adapter for causing the hammer to transfer the strike to the primers of the long colt cartridges?

Yup.. and it's alot more expensive to shoot than black powder and it's strongly recommended to keep the loadings tame and light, cowboy loads and such. In theory, it is a good idea, but in price and practicality, not so much. I think I might consider just going the way of a .45LC(another caliber  pullhair1) handgun before I delve into another conversion cylinder, for the cost of the cylinder, your just about half way there for a decent plinker.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 06:18:42 PM »
Ok, thanks!  That is what I thought it was.
As to the value/cost of that extra cylinder being that much, that is just wild!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 07:05:21 PM »
The conversion cylinder runs in the 250ish price range, depending on maker, model, material, size etc.. They had a nice 1858 Remington conversion setup for just for 45LC that looked somewhat like the one in my OP, it was factory setup with a loading/ejection gate for the cartridges, think is was 500ish or so.

The strange and interesting thing is, no FFL is required for the cap and ball, or the conversion cylinder. As was explained to me,(believe me I asked, and probed) at least here in Virginia, as long as it(the cap and ball pistol frame) is not modified, modified in anyway meaning it can not be reverted back to use cap and ball at any moment, it is deemed a cap and ball/black powder hand gun, or a primitive weapon and treated as an antique, according to our state as well as the ATF. Now the purpose built, cartridge pistol designed for use with 45LC, .44-40 or any other cartridge with the loading gate, etc. that looks just like my cap and ball above, even if there is a chance you could convert it back to cap and ball, it requires a 4473.

One would be, very wise to verify his/her state laws prior to converting.. thumb1

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 08:11:33 PM »
As always great read and some awesome history being right there in the heart of the old battlefields GM. And again more forgivness on your part.. I like that line  thumb1  Nice display of handguns sir !