Author Topic: Sumpthin old and sumpthin shiny  (Read 4043 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Sumpthin old and sumpthin shiny
« on: May 11, 2016, 10:53:37 PM »
Well I've been working, doing thangs and stuuuffff, but I found these in my travels.

First up is a S&W Lemonsqueezer, one most kind of write off as a bottom end handgun. After I got it, I discovered it's not your average Lemonsqueezer. It's a very first production, made in 1887, and check out the serial number......122, all original finish and grips. An early concealed carry handgun, the first S&W to be hammerless and have a grip safety. I had a local shop give it a look, given the age, it got a clean bill of health, so yup, she still functions, I tried a cylinder of .38 S&W through her(pricey stuff these days). So even after 129 years, it still fires, locks up nice and tight, even the bore for it's age is nice.

And with it came this, also made by S&W, only about a 101, maybe 102 years after the Lemonsqueezer was made. The little brother to my S&W Model 29, this luscious hunk-o-stainless steel is a Model 657, in 41 Magnum, another wonderful cartridge from Elmer Keith. It came from the back of a closet in it's original box, still wrapped in the vapor barrier paper with the manual tucked neatly underneath. It's seen very little, if any use in it's life.

Ain't evolution great!!

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Sumpthin old and sumpthin shiny
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 10:56:25 AM »
That antique lemon squeezer is quite a find in first year production and such a low SN  thumb1 What a peculiar revolver.

Have to say that the shiny stainless steel .41 mag exudes raw power, like a 350 with polished headers  :o

So you added two new somewhat scarce and certainly expensive calibers? Good job  thumb1  rofl

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 12:17:06 PM »
Nice low serial.   thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 01:18:11 PM »
That antique lemon squeezer is quite a find in first year production and such a low SN  thumb1 What a peculiar revolver.

Have to say that the shiny stainless steel .41 mag exudes raw power, like a 350 with polished headers  :o

So you added two new somewhat scarce and certainly expensive calibers? Good job  thumb1  rofl

Actually, the .41mag is pretty close to .44mag in cost, maybe just a few cents per round less, but who is counting :)). Your dead on about scarcity, the .41mag doesn't have near the selection of the more popular .357 and .44. There is about 10, maybe 12 flavors of .44mag, about the same in .357, I only found 4 flavors of .41mag at my favorite haunt. Either way, in the end with both, you can still envision upwards of a dollar bill, sometimes more depending brand and type go poof when you squeeze a round off. Thankfully...the brass is easy to keep track of chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 10:53:01 PM »
VERY nice Greasemonkey, congratulations on a stunning find! Bill Jordan & Elmer Keith stated the .41 Mag was the ultimate in a police caliber but it was eclipsed by the popularity of the .357 Mag. I worked with an Officer that carried one,  they are great shooters.