Author Topic: What do we know about Briklee?  (Read 5991 times)

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
What do we know about Briklee?
« on: November 11, 2017, 07:36:06 PM »
I ordered a barreled receiver recently...not considering too heavily on where it came from. Apparently they had been held onto for 20 years after purchase from Briklee.  I didn't take into account anything other than them being an importer.  A little memory refreshing on the SKS guide site shows they only made paratroopers. 

This is not a paratrooper, or at least the stock photo wasn't, but I am curious if they were one of the stateside importers that did their own chopping or if they had theirs done by China before importation.

The fact they are full sized makes me think they did the chopping here...and for whatever reason, these were not given the treatment....and sold off later.

Any thoughts or insight anyone?  I have never seen a Briklee anywhere other than online...it seems as if they are all over the map regarding arsenal and date that they might have been just buying parts and making paratroopers...but I don't have enough info for that assumption to be solid. 

I can't wait for this to arrive...I might pee myself if it actually is a 16.5. :)

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
Re: What do we know about Briklee?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 09:57:01 PM »
Briklee was mostly known for a para model and the Hunter para model. However..... I do have a few full length Briklee import guns in the commercial database.

There is very little info about Briklee. We know they were re-arsenaled in China, from whatever parts they had laying around. They are rarely matching rifles. Joe has stated in the past that the type 89 railed used on them were installed in the US, just like Navy Arms did as well.

I would really doubt the barrels were cut here in the US though. But that's still a neat find....I'd be more excited if it shows up and it's 20"!

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 10:28:49 PM »
I am nearly positive it will be a 20"....I can't see them selling shorties for $79.  The stock pic they use is a 20"...it wasn't until the anticipation of it arriving that I found that Briklee was a paratrooper only thing.

What data do we have for full length Briklees?  I would be very interested if there were any with a matching stock....for instance.

It would blow my mind if this comes with a Type 89 mount, as my current assumption was they built parts guns to their specs, and these might have just been leftovers.  If it does have the mount, it will totally screw up my anticipated build...as I do have a stock cut for one, a blank with an inverted take down notch....for my 78 restoration.  That stupid missing chunk of wood is the only caviat to it being 'perfect'.

The stock pic is weird looking, almost like the handguard lever has been removed....but not close enough to confirm, and the left side isn't shown....so, mount mystery.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 01:16:41 AM »
I bought one from Sarco in person a good 6 years back... don't remember what I did with it.  Think I built it into a functional rifle and later sold it to fund something else. 

Anyhow...  I had them go to the back and bring out a few and all had issues.  I had them bring out a few more..... All had issues.   I took the only long lug that didn't have a rusted bore and had all parts minus a rear takedown lever.  None of them were /26\ guns.  They said 'they are all the same' when I asked for another batch to look at. 

Let us know who the importer is when you get it. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 09:36:55 AM »
Interesting...I wonder if they are the same batch or not? They state that they have had them for 20 years...I was under the impression that they either lost them or sat on them until recently. I had to hold off until liquid enough to take the dive into another project. At $79 I didn't think they would last the couple months it has been since I discovered they were offering them. When ordering the first thing I was asked was HOW MANY?  I wanted to get perhaps two, but a parts deal fell through and I didn't want to get stuck buying too many parts that I was already short. I told her I was going to ask how many they had for future reference....but her tone made it sound as if they had quite a few....and when asked, she claimed they have piles of them.

They claim they are from Briklee. 

The stock photo does have a rear takedown lever....and I was told they didn't remove anything that 'didn't just come off', granted the person I talked to probably had a bowl of Cookie Crisp in front of her 20 years ago.  She did admit to knowing nothing about SKSs.  :o

The description makes them sound serviceable enough to make into guns....I hope I don't get a rust bucket....but I suppose a project should involve more than five minutes of assembly. If it is too easy....lord knows what kind of craziness I will be involved in to stay occupied until trigger time doesn't involve gloves.  :))

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 03:09:26 PM »
They told me the same 20 year bla bla and 'piles of them' also.  I know they are the same ones.  I know it was import marked by someone other then sarco, but I don't remember who.  I don't think it said 'Briklee', but I don't remember what their mark looked like.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 03:33:58 PM »
See the Federal Ordinance entry in the Chinese Military Importers List. Read the link to m1carbinesinc fir some good info. http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_fedord.html

BTC is essentially Fed Ord v2.0, so not surprising that they had parts kits available like Fed Ord was known for. Also not surprising that Sarco is selling BTC marked items, the two companies were tight as evidenced by their partial liquidation of National Ordinance assets when National Ord. was bought out by Fed Ord.

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 05:11:14 PM »
See the Federal Ordinance entry in the Chinese Military Importers List. Read the link to m1carbinesinc fir some good info. http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_fedord.html

BTC is essentially Fed Ord v2.0, so not surprising that they had parts kits available like Fed Ord was known for. Also not surprising that Sarco is selling BTC marked items, the two companies were tight as evidenced by their partial liquidation of National Ordinance assets when National Ord. was bought out by Fed Ord.

never heard of Briklee, interesting read. great list of importers, thanks!  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 12:27:34 PM »
Very interesting read(s)......

Now I want an M1 Carbine for some reason. (as if I didn't before)

Neat to find Numrich was part of this incestuous relationship drama.....it's like the Love Boat meets M*A*S*H*

This gun might have passed through the ownership of more dead people than any other I have had.....I really hope it comes today, the last of the parts just arrived.

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 01:42:35 PM »
Two of my Paras are BTC marked, the spiker is numbers matching (blank wood), the NIB blade is scrubbed with the receiver # duplicated and noted as such. With the right light/angle, you can just make out the bolt carrier #, which matches the receiver. I never paid attention to the importer, but I THINK I have an as new longer than PARA barreled SKS marked BTC NORINCO, scrubbed arsenal but the 3 Chinese characters. I'll have to amend my data files to include arsenal and importer. I just have them recorded by country and serial. PAX
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:35:47 PM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 02:08:13 PM »
Long barrel?   You meaning standard length?

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 02:22:17 PM »
Gee I sure hope so...a long barrel will throw off my display symmetry.  chuckles1

At least should I ever chop it, it will be more correct than a 20" if that makes any sense.

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 02:32:07 PM »
Yes, non Para. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline SVT-40

• Newber
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 12:02:33 PM »
Here are some scans of Sales fliers from Briklee, AKA Federal Ordinance AKA FED ORD of South El Monte ca. I was a frequent flier there when they were in business.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 01:20:53 PM »
Brik Lee; wasn't he the lesser known brother of Bruce Lee? rofl rofl :P :)
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 11:16:44 PM »
yeah, i think he made his money making knockoff chinese lego

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 06:06:56 PM »
Forty dollar T53s....I could stand that.

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 06:42:17 PM »
 :o luv those old adds, now where did I leave my time-machine (yeah, I'm old  geezer1)?  stop1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 06:57:43 PM »
That $129 for the fierce dragon T53 is now $331.  How does that stack up to what they sell for now?