Author Topic: Looking for a Rommy stock and bayonet for my 1958 mostly matching Romanian  (Read 21281 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Looking for a Rommy stock and bayonet for my 1958 mostly matching Romanian
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2018, 01:59:48 AM »
That sounds like good weather... chuckles1 it was 45 a day ago, now its 9 degrees with a nice breeze and the humidity is about 50% and snow and ice on the way currently. Coldest we hit this year was -11..

What's the worst that happens.. you have a traffic cone orange stock, decide to strip it back down and get some red shellac.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 11:03:55 AM by Loose}{Cannon »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2018, 10:56:02 AM »
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 11:03:23 AM by Loose}{Cannon »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2018, 11:21:33 AM »
I like this way.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2018, 01:55:39 PM »
No idea why you stained a stock brown that is supposed to be garnet shellac.

I don't think he stained it brown.. the Romanian wood has a I guess you would call it a chocolate color once the finish is removed. My no finish naked '58 is a chocolate brown color in normal light.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2018, 02:34:29 PM »
As you likely have been monitoring this thread you have seen my stock is stained choc. brown

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2018, 03:06:59 PM »
No idea why you stained a stock brown that is supposed to be garnet shellac.

I don't think he stained it brown.. the Romanian wood has a I guess you would call it a chocolate color once the finish is removed. My no finish naked '58 is a chocolate brown color in normal light.

As you likely have been monitoring this thread you have seen my stock is stained choc. brown

think1.. 

OK.. lets do it the easy way.. lets find out straight from the source, not rely on mystical cryptic quotes..

Charlie... did you stain the stock brown, or do any color alterations after stripping, or was the stock in question already a chocolate brown immediately after you stripped the original finish from it?

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2018, 03:10:45 PM »
I figured the word 'stained' to imply that he stained it. 

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2018, 11:14:58 PM »
No I did not stain the stock. When I received it there were only spots of shellac here and there and it was that dark brown you see in the pictures I've posted. I used denat. alcohol and remove what little shellac was present. This resulted in the completely dull chocolate brown color. I have washed the stock with water and 0000 steel wool and now the wood is a caramel color. Along the sides of the stock there are the usual faint grain lines common to Beech wood. Along the crown from the hand hold back to the shoulder rest there are a few sections of small fish scale. Along the base of the stock and just behind the sling swivel relief is another area of fish scale grain. Just off center of the hand hold knob there is a grain spiral. The water and wool has removed a good portion of what is obviously a brown water based stain. The wood does not have the usual pale blushed color common to beech and I'm reluctant to use anything to bleach out the remaining stain.
LC, thanks for the threads about red shellac. I'll research some sources as well as info on how much garnet flake I would need. If nothing else I do have plenty of time and good advice from you guys.

Charlie

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2018, 09:47:02 PM »
Up date:  Making some progress. I was able to locate a bayonet. The seller said it was kinda rough but it was the only one he had that was chrome and not blued. When it arrived I was floored. The blade is not altered or sharpened. There is a cosmoline patina that gives it that original look of a 1958 unit that saw use and storage. Now the hunt for a suitable sling. Have a lead on a Hungarian leather sling. The leather is more tan than brown and I kinda think its a reproduction not an original. Any of you guys know if the Hungarian is a match for the Romanian?
Haven't had time to work on the stock refinish but am making slow headway on bringing this old rifled back to what it should be.

Charlie

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2018, 11:11:12 PM »
So far..as we know Hungary had no SKS...so no, it wouldn't match, it's more than likely an Ak sling. There is a world of difference between Hungary and Romania.. while somethings are close...such as they both used Aks, there is a difference, just because it it might fit, doesn't mean one should. It's along the same lines as fitting a Mosin sling on a M1 Garand.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2018, 11:23:25 PM »
Correct sling...  Narrow version

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/751070403

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2018, 06:17:02 AM »
Correct sling...  Narrow version

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/751070403

Ouch. I know they’re hard to come by, but vojsko has a high opinion of his sling  :))

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
Thanks Guys, your answers are the very reason I asked. With the prices being asked for replacement items I don't want to waste cash on what the seller says is correct.

Charlie

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
Thanks Guys, your answers are the very reason I asked. With the prices being asked for replacement items I don't want to waste cash on what the seller says is correct.

Charlie

Its not what the seller says.... its a fact. That is what a Romanian sks sling is.  I know its pricey, but I was simply giving an example.  They come along here/there at better prices but remember, they are not growing on trees.